Push notifications

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I have the AP test application on my phone. I get push notification from them. If I turn my phone on silent will the sounds still go off?

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Pretty cool, how do you like it so far, have you seen any battery change since the Push has been turned on?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Interestingly enough I haven't gotten any push notifications so far. I installed the app today so we'll see when I start getting the push. One thing I did notice is once the app is installed there is a new setting under wifi in the settings that controls the push notifications, what programs use it, the access for the programs, etc. I'll see if I can pull off a screen shot here.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I haven't really seen much of a battery drop. Possibly a small amount but we will have to wait and see. I need to know if I turn my phone on silent if the push notification is also silented

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Pretty cool, how do you like it so far, have you seen any battery change since the Push has been turned on?
Not a single difference in my battery while Push has been turned on. :)

Interestingly enough I haven't gotten any push notifications so far. I installed the app today so we'll see when I start getting the push. One thing I did notice is once the app is installed there is a new setting under wifi in the settings that controls the push notifications, what programs use it, the access for the programs, etc. I'll see if I can pull off a screen shot here.
It depends on when you installed it, but if you never receive any then you are supposed to file a bug report. I only got 2(maybe 3) yesterday and both were within a few hours of getting the email and installing the app. So they came early yesterday, none came late yesterday and today I haven't received any so far. Yeah that setting will only show up if you have an app with push capability installed, it's been there the whole time waiting for a Push app.

UPDATE: I walked away for a second and just got an AP news push notification.

Styfle posted this site with screenshots of the new setting:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/developers-get-first-look-at-apple-push-notification-service-on/

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
If you turn off the switch on the side of the phone, it cuts the circuit to the speakers so yes, it will be silent.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You can also turn off audio push notifications in the settings for push notifications. I only have it show me badges, I can't be bothered with a sound everytime an app wants to update a story.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I just got another Push notification a few minutes ago from AP news for any devs who have the app and may not be getting them. If you aren't by now you should report it to their bug reporter.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
The email said 48 hours and they just sent the email yesterday, I would give them another day. I have been receiving notifications since I installed it.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
The email said 48 hours and they just sent the email yesterday, I would give them another day. I have been receiving notifications since I installed it.
Yeah I guess they should wait. I've been getting them since I installed it, so I am glad it's working for me :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Question about the setting for push notifications.
Actually if someone could post a screenshot of the settings that would be nice.
My question is how exactly is it going to work? Each app has an on/off in settings for push notifications?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You choose On/Off for push notifications in general and then each app that has them you will set what type, if any you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Oh great. Thanks. I can't wait until 3.0 is official :)

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Is the notification sound going to be the same for all apps? Or will the individual apps determine this?

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
Anyone on in the uk on o2 have the nofication tab i'm on 3 beta 5 and do not have it

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Is the notification sound going to be the same for all apps? Or will the individual apps determine this?
I don't believe they ever disclosed that information, but if they were all going to be the same I would think that when the sound toggle is turned from off to on it would play that tone. I still think it should play the tone when you turn it from off to on just like in the 'Sounds' setting.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Anyone on in the uk on o2 have the nofication tab i'm on 3 beta 5 and do not have it
You will only have the notification tab if you have an app with push notification capabilities installed and there is only one out but it's only available to developers.