Push Question

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Sorry if this has been asked before. I was just wondering if push is used for anything other than email. I use gmail imap so I get my data fetched for email. Does the iPhone use push for any other function or perhaps apps. I dunno if it uses it for the app store when there are updates, or for facebook messages (a little number comes up next to the icon indicating how many new messages or updates). Appreciate any help.

JP

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
push is used for calendar and contacts as well.
That only works if you have mobile me though right? Which I don't. Just wondering if I should turn it off to save battery if its not doing anything.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That only works if you have mobile me though right? Which I don't. Just wondering if I should turn it off to save battery if its not doing anything.
It also works if you have exchange, or a mail2web (free version of exchange)

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
supposedly, push tech will be available for apps in September. The app has to be programmed to use the technology and Apple will have special servers for this. This accommodates applications that cannot remain running (per Apple rules) when you switch screens but still need to know there is something "in the cloud" for them.

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
nice sounds like september is going to be interesting. Thx everyone!

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Ohh...sorry. I thought that what you were implying when I said that...my mistake. :)
ita all good love the dog in the avatar my gf's family has a 11 yr old golden. beauty

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Sorry to butt into someone else's thread with a question, but I am looking for clarification on the PUSH feature......

Should I even have the PUSH feature ON if my mail is gmail? It seems I have to access gmail in order to get my mail.....so it isn't really being pushed...I am fetching it when I load up the mail app.

If I turn it OFF, it should not change how my gmail comes to my 3G, correct? It will also save me battery life I suppose.