Push! The iPhone killer?

J911

Jul 2, 2007
So I brought the 32BG iPhone 3GS and have been happy with it till last night. I purchased Beejive yesterday to see how it would work out for me and it's great push works fine and I could not fault the app. Until I went to be last night, I had 42% battery showing before I hit the sack. When I woke up the phone was dead, as soon as I connected it to the charger it came back to life.

So here is my question:

Do you think it's push killing the phone over night ( although I sleep where there is 0 nill nothing no connection wifi or cell ) or do I need to take it to Apple for a replacement?

sim

Aug 19, 2008
Rochester, MN
There is a distinct liklihood that push is contributing to the battery drain.

How about plugging the phone in when you go to bed. 42% battery before bed and no charge means it probably wouldn't make it through the next day anyway.

Just my $0.02.

Steve

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Too bad Mobile Me's Find my iPhone feature needs push. I wouldn't use push if that feature didn't need it. Mine only drops a few percent overnight and I leave Push, WiFi, location services, and 3G on.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, your iPod's EQ, and 3G all contribute to battery loss. And those were all there BEFORE push was even available.

Push might not be helping your battery, but it's only part of the problem.

J911

Jul 2, 2007
It's just that I had an iPhone 3G before this one and I could leave it as is over night with about Half the battery showing (no % sign) and wake up with loads left on the phones battery life. Do you think I have a faulty iPhone 3GS?:(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So the battery life was fine with push turned off?

You said your signal is bad, maybe that's the problem. It's constantly searching. My signal and battery life is fine everywhere around me but at the hospital. The cell signal strength is horrible inside and only available in certain spots. Because of this, the phone is constantly searching and drains close to what you described above in a 12 hour shift. To get around this, I just turn airplane mode on and only turn airplane mode off if I need to make a call.

I'd test it out with push on in a place where the signal is good just to compare. If it's that bad everywhere, I bet Apple will replace it.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Do you need push for push notifications? I don't think you do. If you have no signal, that will eat your battery quicker than anything else.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
So I brought the 32BG iPhone 3GS and have been happy with it till last night. I purchased Beejive yesterday to see how it would work out for me and it's great push works fine and I could not fault the app. Until I went to be last night, I had 42% battery showing before I hit the sack. When I woke up the phone was dead, as soon as I connected it to the charger it came back to life.

So here is my question:

Do you think it's push killing the phone over night ( although I sleep where there is 0 nill nothing no connection wifi or cell ) or do I need to take it to Apple for a replacement?
It could be a combination of push and no cell signal. I'm guessing that since push is enabled Apple may be more aggressive in search for a cell signal so it can receive the pushes. Here is what I would try to figure out what it really is. I would do a reboot each night before putting it down to make sure no other apps or anything are affecting the test

1) Turn off push one night and note the battery drain.
2) Keep push on but turn the phone into airplane mode (disables the cell)
3) Turn push off and put the phone into airplane mode.

From the data you get from those three tests you should really be able to see what's going on.

I tell you what I found is the Nike+ burns battery. I had it turned on so the app would show up and noticed my battery draining really quickly. I've since turned it off and the battery seems significantly longer. It could be a placebo affect though so it's hard to say.

J911

Jul 2, 2007
I will try these "tests" and a few other things and see how it goes, if the bat still dies on me I will take the phone in. If not then all is good. Will keep ya posted!

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
Too bad Mobile Me's Find my iPhone feature needs push. I wouldn't use push if that feature didn't need it. Mine only drops a few percent overnight and I leave Push, WiFi, location services, and 3G on.
same here i fell asleep last night with it at 36% and had wifi, 3g, bluetooth etc. on all night and when i woke up it was at 29% a bit of a drop but damn sure not 40%.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I really think it has to do with a combination of push and low to no signal. I've noticed the same thing if I don't have any signal at home and have push on and connected (meaning I have BeeJive up and running). It sucked through battery life. I'm pretty sure that without push if it can't find a signal i will sleep for a bit and try again later but if it's trying to use push and can't find a signal it's being more aggressive and using the battery a lot faster.

Jun 21, 2009
California
It is like to get the battery to be over anything related to the network. I can listen to music all day and it wouldn't be empty but talking kills it fast because of the network. So, you better charge at the time you could get a chance.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Why would push have anything to do with battery life? The entire purpose of it is so that the phone has to do nothing. Everything is done server side. Once you exit out of Beejive it closes and doesn't do anything until you open it again. The push is nothing more than a notification. The phone doesn't need to maintain a persistent data connection.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I believe this has something to do with both push and low cell signal. When working at the hospital I have a very weak signal, which eats my battery up. I usually turn off push email and put it is airplane mode for the day. Weak signal will absolutely eat up your battery more than anything.

J911

Jul 2, 2007
So some tests carried out and here are the results:

1.) I had the phone on Airplane mode over night and it was on 63% before bed. I slept (8 hours) then on waking checked bat was at 59% so not bad at all.

2.) I had the phone on Normal again but with no signal IE I sleep in a basement (don't ask) and have ZERO signal and no wireless signal either. The bat was at 95% and again I slept (8 hours) when I woke the phone was completely dead, would not even start up with either the home or sleep/wake button. Once I connect to power or iTunes it started up:confused:

So the same result as the first time it completely dies on me if I leave the phone setting on. (not in Airplane mode) :(

I'm lost? Should I return it and say it's not working? Or would I have to turn on Airplane mode every-night because it would be the same on another iPhone? I'm thinking it may just be a dud 3GS?

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Its worth asking Apple, but I would have the same problem on my 3G if I had it in a no service spot for over 8 hours. Why not just put it on airplane mode at night or plug it in so it has a full charge in the morning? Its not like you are going to miss any calls down in your no service basement

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
I leave push on 100% of the time and you can read my post in the battery usage thread, just started charging mine after 56 hours of no charge. doesn't bother mine much.

BunnyGirl

Jun 27, 2009
Italy
Push does consume my battery, but nothing too dramatic. Also cos I don't leave it on the whole day.