push Yahoo mail?

briuhn

Jun 27, 2007
any luck? there are many of us that do not have yahoo push email working? has anyone found solutions?

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I don't think anyone can put their finger on it. As I posted above...my Yahoo push didn't work for me yesterday, but today it works like a charm. Here's how I set mine up:

-Went to yahoo and set up a basic free email account
-The at some point during activation I entered my Yahoo id and password

THAT's ALL I DID...I didn't make any changes after that.

I wish I knew more.

briuhn

Jun 27, 2007
thanks for the feedback, im also getting the "load 4 messages" but there are none to load. Im coming from the blackberry curve, where after you email one account, it would hit my blackberry within 2 seconds, are those the kind of results you are seeing with the yahoo push? mine is pulling every 15mins or so, maybe longer

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I set up Yahoo, set it up on the iPhone, did a reset, and it works great outside of the fact it's telling me to "Load 2 messages" but there aren't 2 messages to load. :-\
When it's telling you to load messages, are you connected via wifi or edge? The only time I've experienced that is when I'm connected to edge.

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
thanks for the feedback, im also getting the "load 4 messages" but there are none to load. Im coming from the blackberry curve, where after you email one account, it would hit my blackberry within 2 seconds, are those the kind of results you are seeing with the yahoo push? mine is pulling every 15mins or so, maybe longer
I have instant results. Try doing a reset (hold down home and power buttons). That seems to have helped several people.

briuhn

Jun 27, 2007
full reset, no luck.... is this an issue with Apple, the iPhone, or Yahoo? does anyone have info

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
how do u set up push yahoo mail..its not seeming to work...it just checks every 15 minutes like usual...anyone get it to work?
I set mine up in iPhone and it works great! I am confused now as to which Yahoo mail I wnat/need. I set my account up in Yahoo mail but there is a Yahoo mail "beta"? do I want that? I do not know what the difference is.

MBHockey

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
This sounds good -- I'll switch over to a Yahoo address and have IMAP for it. However, do they not let you access Yahoo Mail via an external client (other than iPhone) such as the Mail application in MacOS X or Outlook on windows, without an extra fee?

I cannot find information on how to set up my Mail client on Mac OS X with Yahoo's email..is this offered>

ALSO: It has been my experience if you have a POP account along with Yahoo (Say, Gmail) going at the same time -- the Push for Yahoo will not work....Yahoo Push works perfectly on an account i created 10 minutes ago after disabling all my other accounts, meaning, it can be locked and the screen off, and i send an email to the yahoo account and 2 seconds later my phone gives me the new mail ring...this is why I'd like to switch entirely over to yahoo.

Also, how much space does Yahoo give you for storing messages?

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
My best guess about this problem is Yahoo. I have sent a bizillion messages from my comcast account at different times of the day. Some go instantly, some take nine, fourteen, 7 minutes and so on. Others take say a minute or less. I think it's just Yahoo. Mine also says load 4 messages and there are none to load. Those of you getting nothing, check your trash and bulk mail. I added my husbands addy to my contacts and they started showing up.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I just can't believe there is no way to change the "From" email address to something other than an @yahoo.com address. This is a simple feature that can be done in Gmail and other popular email programs. I even paid the $20 to try out the "premium" version of Yahoo mail - - no luck there either! Canceling this ASAP!

Mike

dagiphone

Jul 1, 2007
My Yahoo PUSH is working great, but not until after I disabled my other two (POP) accounts. To test, you should be out of email, just after doing a PULL from your email clients.

I'm going to auto-forward my other POP (.Mac and Verizon) mails and now I'll have blackberry like speed.

FYI, there's a company named Visto that is going to release an enterprise and single-client corporate (Exchange) push client for the iPhone in the 3rd Quarter of 2007. I used a similar client-push with my Treo and it was great. Best part was that it kept my corporate mail "sent" like it was going from Exchange so people didn't see it as being sent from my personal email.

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
I've looked into email quite a bit today and here's what I've learned
(note: this may not all be correct, but I'm fairly sure they are accurate)

-To setup yahoo push just add a regular yahoo account under mail settings. No extra settings need to be changed
-Push/IMAP are only for the iPhone. You can't use IMAP with Outlook, etc. People think the server is imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com but it won't allow you to log in
-Yahoo can be set up to import from other pop accounts (I couldn't get gmail to work)
-Yahoo can be set up to send from other address(requires Mail Plus, free 30 day trial with credit card, $20/yr)
-iphone cannot be set up to send from another address. (If they offered regular IMAP service we could use yahoo imap with gmail smtp)
-I don't know of any other push imap providers. I tried AOL mail and Dreamhost mail account which both offer IMAP (and I believe push), but they did not seem to push at all

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I have yahoo email, but via sbcglobal yahoo.... my email address is actually jhoffy@sbcglobal.net which is my login name that I log into from the yahoo mail screen. I am not able to input the sbcglobal.net portion of the address when you try to set up the yahoo account on the iPhone... I can set it up using "Other" but I am not sure if it will be push

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Jon

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
I have yahoo email, but via sbcglobal yahoo.... my email address is actually jhoffy@sbcglobal.net which is my login name that I log into from the yahoo mail screen. I am not able to input the sbcglobal.net portion of the address when you try to set up the yahoo account on the iPhone... I can set it up using "Other" but I am not sure if it will be push

Has anyone tried this?
I think only yahoo mail accounts will work with the Yahoo mail setting on the phone. It probably uses all the correct mail servers for yahoo and nothing else will work

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
pb - I have the $20 upgraded yahoo email account and still can't figure out how to set it up to send from another email address. I want to be able to reply through yahoo but show the reply coming from a none yahoo address - and I want to do this all on my iPhone. I can setup a pop3 for my corporate email but then I don't get the mail to push.

dagiphone

Jul 1, 2007
Overall, I think the iPhone release was flawlessly executed by Apple. I do find it ironic, however, that Yahoo can offer push mail while Apple's premium .Mac service (which I also have) does not. Oops...