push Yahoo mail?

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
pb - I have the $20 upgraded yahoo email account and still can't figure out how to set it up to send from another email address. I want to be able to reply through yahoo but show the reply coming from a none yahoo address - and I want to do this all on my iPhone. I can setup a pop3 for my corporate email but then I don't get the mail to push.
In the old yahoo mail (not the new beta) go to options, mail addresses, add, enter the info, then back at the mail addresses page select the new account and next to sending mail click 'make default'

I have not been able to send from different address on the iPhone though. Using other mail providers (like aol) I can use aol's IMAP server and gmail's SMTP and it will receive from aol and send out from gmail. However since yahoo's IMAP server isn't public this can't be done (afaik, I'd love tone wrong on this one)

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My best guess about this problem is Yahoo. I have sent a bizillion messages from my comcast account at different times of the day. Some go instantly, some take nine, fourteen, 7 minutes and so on. Others take say a minute or less. I think it's just Yahoo. Mine also says load 4 messages and there are none to load. Those of you getting nothing, check your trash and bulk mail. I added my husbands addy to my contacts and they started showing up.

mine worked a few times but otherwise, no.

right now, it KNOWS I have 1 unread message sitting on Yahoo but has not done a check/retrieve in the past 28 minutes. This is terribly unreliable.

MotherTucker

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i live in nyc...and it was working all morning...the last 5 ive tried haven't worked..i dunno what the hell is going on...all morning the phone was locked and it would get to my phone as soon as i hit send..didn't even seem like one second. now its not even getting it every 15..[/quot

SOoo excited - I made a deal with myself that if I quit smoking for two months, I can get an iPhone! Thanks to everyone for giving me all the real info before I cough up the cash. :cool:

MotherTucker

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
AT&T plan question

So I'm going through the AT&T fine print, and I'm not seeing if you get charged for incoming calls. Do you?

SCtud

Jul 3, 2007
it is sporadic for me as well.. works one minute and not the next. i'll just deal with pull from the exchange server for the time being until real exchange push gets supported. hopefully someone can figure this out though. ideally, there should be a setting where all incoming e-mail is pushed through yahoo, but you can send using your other e-mail account setting where push isn't necessary.

DrVest

Jul 3, 2007
I have Yahoo set-up and I seem to be getting emails just fine; however, I can't seem to send them from the phone.

Is there a reason that I can receive but not send that anyone is aware of?

TonyRockyHorror

Jul 3, 2007
i am positive that the issue is that you have to have the Yahoo account as the only active account on the iPhone for pus to work properly. i had a gmail account set up on my iPhone a couple of days before i set up a Yahoo account. so then i sent myself a bunch of test messages to the phone and nothign got pushed through. i had to manually check them. frustrating.

but after turning off the gmail account in the Mail settings under the Settings button on the home screen, push mail via Yahoo began working immediately.

after turning off the gmail account in the settings, sending a message to the yahoo account and seeing it push through perfectly, i then turned the gmail account back on to test push again: it worked!

so, i think the way to ensure that yahoo push mail works, at least unscientifically is to set it up like this:

-start from a complete reset of the phone(can't hurt, heh)

-go to the mail settings and turn off any accounts that are NOT Yahoo

-send a test message to the yahoo account to make sure it gets pushed to the phone

-after you verify that the test message got through, turn on your gmail account or whatever else you set up

-send another test message to the yahoo account to make sure everything is hunkydory

-you should be all set

i think the phone needs to see the yahoo account as the primary/only account maybe? who knows, but the steps above got push working for me.

cheers.

btw, i set up new gmail and yahoo accounts just for my iPhone.

and as always, your mileage may vary.

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I got it all working. Thanks.

The truth is the pain is finding a work-around for what I really want. My sbcglobal (which is a yahoo account) to do the actual pushing. otherwise, I have to juggle email addresses and responses so that replies go back from my sbcglobal account. Also, i want to keep my sbcglobal account sync'd with deleted messages ect.

I need to know if MS Exchange interaction is in the near future. Since I got the iPhone I haven't been using it. I am really feeling it. I guess it is a must for me and unfortunately could be a deal-breaker.

I like the iPhone much more than my Treo, but I need MS Exchange interaction.

Jon

dagiphone

Jul 1, 2007
After using Yahoo mail for a few days (having all my other POP accounts forwarded to it, then using just one Y! account, with push, to my iPhone), I went back to separate accounts. Yahoo has lousy, non-configurable spam control. My verizon account, about a decade old, gets a lot of spam that verizon manages to filter out, plus it offers configurable rules. With auto-forward on, the messages just go to Y! unfiltered and Y! only manages to catch about 10% of the spam. Also, I was getting errors when sending email from my iPhone with Yahoo.

A 15 pull is OK for my personal email. Our Exchange server has POP access disabled, so I don't get any work mail on my iPhone. Maybe that's a blessing...

chemist

Aug 7, 2007
sbcglobal accounts

Have you got this to work? I'm in the same situation. I have an @sbcglobal.net account. I can set it up and get the push email to work by going through the Y!Mail option when adding the account. However, after doing this I CANNOT send mail. The iPhone will go through the motions of sending, shows a progress bar at the bottom and you get the swoosh sound of sending mail. However, it is deceiving since after checking for the sent mail I see that it has never been sent. Somehow Yahoo has managed to screw this up. If I set up my account using Other and enter the mail pop and smtp servers then everything works but NO pushmail. The only way to get pushmail is to enter the account via the Y!Mail option. So its either push and not be able to send any mail or no push and capability to send.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a fix?

I have yahoo email, but via sbcglobal yahoo.... my email address is actually jhoffy@sbcglobal.net which is my login name that I log into from the yahoo mail screen. I am not able to input the sbcglobal.net portion of the address when you try to set up the yahoo account on the iPhone... I can set it up using "Other" but I am not sure if it will be push

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Jon

calal

Aug 26, 2007
Yahoo on iPhone

Still don't understand how you guys are getting your Yahoo email to push.
Please provide some assistance to those of us who must manually or schedule the retrieval of Yahoo email.
Thanks.

Mike
I had trouble too but what I did was go to yahoo, change my password and then tried it again on the iPhone. This time it worked. I went here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306076 and read a little about the problem. It takes a couple of tries for some reason. No special account just regular ymail..

luck to u
calal