Put ringtone on iPhone 4 without using iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mramay, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mramay

mramay Member
    Bronze

I created a new ringtone and started to use iTunes to put it on the iPhone 4 but it wouldn't sync Ringtones. Under Devices and Ringtones, Sync Ringtones was not checked. Checking it asks if I'm sure I want to sync ringtones, etc.

Clicked All Ringtones, then Apply in the bottom right corner.

Here's the scary part - a window appears that states that I'm synced with another iTunes library and "Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

My choices are "erase and sync" or "cancel". It's sync'd ringtones before so I have no idea why it's changed now. I only have one iTunes on the PC so there is no "other iTunes library". I did put in a solid state drive and it's now "C". Maybe that confused iTunes.

Did I mention that I really really hate iTunes. Non-user friendly POS.

How do I either reinstate iTunes as it is on the now "F" drive (when the primary drive got relabeled after the SSD installation) or just use ifiles and put the ringtone onto the iPhone 4?
    What folder holds the ringtones?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. mramay

mramay Member
    Bronze

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

The ringtones folder is @ var/stash/Ringtones. Make sure they are .m4r and should be 30 seconds or less.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. mramay

mramay Member
    Bronze

var/stash/ringtones and var/stash/ringtones.byUh8S both showed only the standard ringtones. The seven "custom" ringtones I already had on the iPhone 4 were not in those folders.

But.... I took a ringtone that I'd made with Audiko and, using iFile, copied into var/stash/ringtones.byUh8S. That ringtone now shows up in not in the "Custom" list in Settings but in the "Standard" list! Not a short label either - it used the whole label. "John-Williams - Hedwigs-Theme".

I finally got iTunes to work and had put that tone into the iPhone 4 with it and it showed up in Custom as "Hedwigs Theme". Interesting difference.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I can now put an M4R file into ringtones without having to mess with iTunes, which makes it much easier. Dropbox to Documents, iFile it to the ringtone directory - Done!

5. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, bro! :)