Putting larger photos on the to phone so you may zoom into them

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

closer

Jul 27, 2007
Hello,

I'm trying to put larger resolution photos onto my iPhone so I may zoom into them to get certain detail out of them.

I have 3000x3000 JPGs of my local subway system that I'd like to use when traveling as a backup. Similar to the Ipod Subway maps that were avilable for the Ipod.

Anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Hello,

I'm trying to put larger resolution photos onto my iPhone so I may zoom into them to get certain detail out of them.

I have 3000x3000 JPGs of my local subway system that I'd like to use when traveling as a backup. Similar to the Ipod Subway maps that were avilable for the Ipod.

Anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.
I dunno if iTunes has a size limit on photos, but can't you just load it into iTunes and then onto your phone?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I dunno if iTunes has a size limit on photos, but can't you just load it into iTunes and then onto your phone?
I cannot load photos into iTunes directly (won't let me).

The only way I can get photos into my iPhone is via syncing to an folder that I've told iTunes to sync. No way to specify resolution or anything.

I too would like to be able to loud high-res photos. I can use SoonR/Orb/TVersity to view photos on my PC--using full res--though that's a bit clumsy (but it works).

BTW: PC user here.

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I cannot load photos into iTunes directly (won't let me).

The only way I can get photos into my iPhone is via syncing to an folder that I've told iTunes to sync. No way to specify resolution or anything.

I too would like to be able to loud high-res photos. I can use SoonR/Orb/TVersity to view photos on my PC--using full res--though that's a bit clumsy (but it works).

BTW: PC user here.

--
Mike
But can't you load the hi-res images into the folder to sync w/iTunes?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
But can't you load the hi-res images into the folder to sync w/iTunes?
They already are hi-res images. iTunes converts them to lower res when sending to the iPhone. I assumed this was the issue the OP was referring to from the get-go (i.e., work around iTunes lowering the res of photos).

I assume you use a Mac? If so how do photos work with it? Can you load higher res images into the iPhone?

To be clear the photos I end up with on my iPhone seem to be about 640x480 (maybe 800x600) no matter how large the photo was on the PC.

--
Mike

--
Mike

closer

Jul 27, 2007
I know HOW to get them onto the phone. The problem is it resizes them before it posts them to the phone.

I have a mac and a pc. It does it on both.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Photos get optimized (shrunk if too large, so you don't waste storage space) for viewing on the iPhone.

If you want high res photos, save them as under 10mb, and convert them to base64 bookmark URLs for Safari viewing. The program at this link will do it for you on a Mac:

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51
That looks interesting. Anyone know of a PC version?

Can't believe a bookmark can hold so much data!

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I know HOW to get them onto the phone. The problem is it resizes them before it posts them to the phone.

Who are you replying to?! I never implied you didn't know HOW to get them onto the phone...

--
Mike

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007

I wonder what happens if (on your PC) you go to My Computer.. then click Apple iPhone. I know you can click through a bunch of folders until you come to all of your photos. I wonder what would happen if you just drag and drop an image into that folder. Sorry I'm not home to test it right now.

closer

Jul 27, 2007
I wasn't replying to you. I was typing my answer while you posted yours.
-----
Yes, that folder is not writable. You can copy from that folder but not to it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wonder what happens if (on your PC) you go to My Computer.. then click Apple iPhone. I know you can click through a bunch of folders until you come to all of your photos. I wonder what would happen if you just drag and drop an image into that folder. Sorry I'm not home to test it right now.
It won't work. You are not accessing a drive; Apple iPhone is listed under Scanners and Cameras. You can only remove photos off the iPhone's camera with this, or delete photos that are on it (in the camera roll, not anywhere else).

--
Mike

Riva

May 23, 2008
Anybody know a similar utility like Filemark for PC ?
Ie some "data:uri converter"

I was searching for some app for hours and all I found was some semi-functional web forms. ..that are unusable for converting 5Mb PDF or image.

Please help.