Putting other SIM card when traveling.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok so i plan on leaving the USA and going to london for college. I asked in the modifications section about using the phone over there with the possibility of switching to O2 mobile (the exclusive carrier of the iPhone3g in the UK). In that forum i was told its impossible to unlock a 3g which i understand, however theres something like a multi sim card, or some universal sim that will let me text, call and use the phone's functions normally as if in the USA.

What exaclty does this allow me to do?
Does the phone need to be jail broken?
How will this affect my AT&T? Will i pay international charges? Will i even still be with AT&T paying my regular bill?

Some help and explanation please.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
impossible (for now) to use any SIM card other than AT&T in your 3G.
cards such as "TurboSIM" will work for 1-2 days then bork your phone.
your only 2 options are to roam on the UK network, or to purchase a factory unlocked iPhone from ebay. iPhones sold in New Zealand and Italy are NOT sim-locked to any carrier, so you can pop in any GSM SIM card and go. However, these unlocked iPhones are VERY expensive (about $1000US).

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
what is a payg iPhone? Pay as you go? How much are they for a 16 gig?
Sum1 needs to hurry up and unlock a 3g I wonder what's taking so long. Did it take this long for v1?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I can say that it didn't take this long but that's for a few reasons. Even if the iPhone 3G is unlocked, you cannot utilize the 3G network on any other carrier in the U.S. simply because they lack the necessary infrastructure and 3G network. This I'm sure has affected unlockers as there will likely be a smaller profit margin for selling an unlocked phone as all of the buyers are likely to be overseas.

As far as PAYG, I'll look some more into it.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I can say that it didn't take this long but that's for a few reasons. Even if the iPhone 3G is unlocked, you cannot utilize the 3G network on any other carrier in the U.S. simply because they lack the necessary infrastructure and 3G network. This I'm sure has affected unlockers as there will likely be a smaller profit margin for selling an unlocked phone as all of the buyers are likely to be overseas.

As far as PAYG, I'll look some more into it.
Thats fine and all, but the US is the only country new to "3G" which is why only AT-T has it...hence they are the largest american network.
In London, where i would be using the phone, almost every network there (T-mobile, Vodafone, O2, Orange, 3) has 3G i believe.

Side note, im sure there is a market for unlocking the iPhone 3g but even if the major profits come from overseas (mainly Europe) the euro and pound is way stronger than the dollar.

Sep 21, 2008
You can by an iPhonesimfreer.com card. Works for me and some friends without any problems...

Amahk

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
anyone ever heard of rebelsimcard.com ? I just placed an order with them this weekend and I'm not having such a great experience this far to even get the product shipped.

Huncowboy

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Isn't it against the law to force us of a customer to stay on a certain network just for a phone? I'm sure there is something out there from the FCC about the freedom to unlock a phone. You paid for the phone thereforee you should be free to do whatever you want. This is like you buying a ferrarri then telling you that you can't buy aftermarket parts to make it better than stock.