Pwange vs Quickpwn

ariverajr

Jan 5, 2009
What is the difference between Pwange Tool and Quickpwn? I'm interested in jail breaking my iPhone 3G but not unlocking it. I still want to be able to update my firmware in the future as well. Please advise on the differences in each software and the best avenue of approach for my situation. Thanks in advance.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
pwnage tool builds a custom ipsw firmware file that you can save on your computer for future use if need be. quickpwn simply takes your iPhone and current software and jailbreaks it. in order to jailbreak again if you restore, you need to run quickpwn again. if you use pwnage tool you can simply restore with the saved ipsw file. i have used both and they both work great. for ease of use i prefer quickpwn, but with pwnage tool you can select packages you want to install on the custom firmware (cycorder, pdanet, winterboard, etc) so that when you restore the custom firmware you don't have to reinstall those. quickpwn can be used on mac and windows, while pwnage tool i believe is only for mac.

so basically its you can either hook up with your gf and use your own tool or use one with batteries, just depends what she likes more. hope that helps.

ariverajr

Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. It cleared somethings for me. Now another question comes to mind; does jailbreaking erase all the content currently on my iPhone? I would like to jailbreak but don't want to go through the hassle of reloading my apps from the app store. Thanks.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Thanks for all the replies. It cleared somethings for me. Now another question comes to mind; does jailbreaking erase all the content currently on my iPhone? I would like to jailbreak but don't want to go through the hassle of reloading my apps from the app store. Thanks.
Nope. Once you sync the phone everything will be there.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^+juan, just sync it before, and once you are jailbroken sync it again. if you click update or restore you will lose the jailbreak.