pwnage available tomorrow

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
We've told you it was coming. Tomorrow is the day. Watch out for the release of pwnage.

http://xs1.iphwn.org/video_assets/pwnage_present_eng_web.mp4

The software is a self contained application (for MacOS 10.4.x and 10.5.x) that allows all current models of the iPhone device to be “Pwned”. This term (in relation to this software) refers to the patching of the stock bootloader so that it will allow the execution of unsigned code and circumvent code-signing checks. “Pwnage” only needs to be performed once to allow the additional features on the iPhone.
The application also processes and modifies existing Apple archives so that unique, custom rolled firmware bundles can be installed onto the “Pwned” iPhone directly from iTunes.
These ”.ipsw” files can be created and patched by the application to allow third-party modifications such as activation, application installation, baseband modification, custom phone graphics etc.
The tool works automatically on box-fresh (OTB) 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 iPhones and requires minimal interaction from the user.

Mar 2, 2008
this looks freaking amazing, i cant wait to try it out!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
this looks freaking amazing, i cant wait to try it out!
Just a word of warning, the new beta firmware is still buggy in some aspects and for me at least doesn't have the iTunes stores. Now you might think this isn't a big deal, but it seems that the iTunes store on the phone is what controls your ability to listen to music you bought from iTunes. I can't currently listen to any music I bought from iTunes on my phone, it just plays but no sound comes out. Fortunately I un-DRM most of my music when I get it, but a lot of people don't.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
wow. wow. wow. WOW.

wait. does this mean I can roll back to 4.6 (4.6FB) as I downgraded?

I love the Russians....

oh wait!

I forgot! I'm Russian too!

LOL..

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
VERY VERY impressive. I have always wondered about tricking the iPhone to read other fw like it can be done with the PSP.
I just don't have the knowledge to go about and start programing on the iPhone or in general. I would love to get into this where should I start?

kr3st

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Winter Park / Orlando, FL
http://iphone-dev.org/news:pwnage_delay

pwnage has been delayed till sometime next week.

#iphone-DEV, IRC, Cyberspace. March 30, 2008

The expected release of the Mac OS X version of “PwnageTool” has been delayed until sometime next week.

Legal enquiries were made to the DevTeam about the validity and legality of the contents of the tools, we would like to stress that no third-party copyrighted software will ever be released by the DevTeam.

Also, initial feedback from Beta testers has indicated that a few small changes and additional features should be developed.

Another major request from the Beta testers and demo viewers is that the team brings forward the release of the Windows version, with the feedback that has been received the team has decided to expedite the release of the Windows tool for a dual platform release sometime next week, iPod touch support will also be finalized.

The DevTeam would like to thank the users for being patient and wait for the upcoming release.

The video presentation that was released yesterday has been viewed over 100,000 times in 24 hours proving the overwhelming demand for the application.

To summarize :-

Pwnage Tool Application releases _sometime_ in the next week for Mac OS X 10.4.x, 10.5.x and Windows.
The tool contains revised logos and icons.
PwnageTool does NOT ship with any Apple licensed software, Intellectual Property, trademarks, logos or images.
As my Mother would say “If you are going to be late, arrive with flowers”.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so... pwn is the new jailbreak.

that is pretty crazy cool.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
to be honest, i don't really care one way or the other.

either way it's pretty retarded the way they've handled it.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I dunno if i believe that. The devteam has faced the stuff they describe in the article for a while i'm sure...they are doing something against Apples wishes and its expected the validity of what they are doing would be questioned. I don't think all of a sudden they would just sell and get out...

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Engadget and TUAW is calling it an April fools joke.
Everyone can rejoice again!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
but WHAT is the joke? is the software the joke, or is the selling-out the joke?

very childish and ego-centric either way.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
The software was demoed on a youtube video so I'm sure that that is real. The practical joke is the fact that they are closing down immediately before releasing some very sought upon software.

J

jashsayani

PWN is going to be cool, just saw the video!