PwnageTool vs. ZiPhone jailbreak?

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
For those who have used PwnageTool, if I do the PwnageTool deal, is the behavior of the phone the same as it is with a jailbreak? In other words can I install the themes and apps as I can with jailbreak?

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
I used ZiPhone with my 1.1.4 16GB iPhone.
It works PERFECT.........

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
as it will for him once he properly restores his phone as a new device rather than from a backup.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
as it will for him once he properly restores his phone as a new device rather than from a backup.
huh? are you saying that to use ziPhone you need to set up as a new phone? you can jailbreak with ziPhone and restore from the back up and everything worked perfect i didn't even have to use youtube or mail fixes

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
huh? are you saying that to use ziPhone you need to set up as a new phone? you can jailbreak with ziPhone and restore from the back up and everything worked perfect i didn't even have to use youtube or mail fixes
You were lucky. Others have had issues, so it's always a safer bet to restore as new.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well I'm glad you're backing me up, Patrick, as I've yet to actually restore from my first jailbreak. I know I harp on about this a lot around here, but I think it's an often-overlooked detail when it comes to restoring from a jailbreak. It just seems almost all the recurring issues brought up on this board regarding jailbreaking could be resolved if this were a sticky somewhere.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
WHEN YOU JAILBREAK WITH ZiPhone, ALWAYS SET UP AS
A NEW PHONE !

How's That Guys ..........:cool:

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
What problems with mail an youtube are people having? I jailbroke from a restore with ziPhone and have had zero problems. In fact, I've done it 3 times now I think.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
maybe I'm wrong but has anyone actually answered the question?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
pwnage is better than ZiPhone, because its easier, a one step process.

and its an iTunes process.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
pwnage is better than ZiPhone, because its easier, a one step process.

and its an iTunes process.
I could be wrong, but from the links posted in several other threads, it looks like pwnage has more steps than ZiPhone. But the number of steps, given that we are not talking about 10 to 1 difference, is really not that important. What is, is does either method give you a safer process, more functionality, or more stability than the other? That to me defines better in this situation.

I used pre 3.0 ZiPhone 4 weeks ago and thought that the process was amazingly simple. I have added about 60 items through Installer and kept around 30. The phone has never crashed. That's my baseline. How different is pwnage in those aspects?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I could be wrong, but from the links posted in several other threads, it looks like pwnage has more steps than ZiPhone. But the number of steps, given that we are not talking about 10 to 1 difference, is really not that important. What is, is does either method give you a safer process, more functionality, or more stability than the other? That to me defines better in this situation.

I used pre 3.0 ZiPhone 4 weeks ago and thought that the process was amazingly simple. I have added about 60 items through Installer and kept around 30. The phone has never crashed. That's my baseline. How different is pwnage in those aspects?
Well put. I'd like to know also. I haven't had any problems with ZiPhone, though I've only had my phone unlocked since last night! The process was TERRIBLY SIMPLE! I love it!

--
Shane H

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
My phone does crash occasionally under ziPhone. Normally just consists of the screen freaking out when I get a text by turning on and off, sometimes it freezes. It is nothing a restart doesn't fix. If pwnage doesn't have those kinds of problems I'd say it's better just for that fact.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
My phone does crash occasionally under ziPhone. Normally just consists of the screen freaking out when I get a text by turning on and off, sometimes it freezes. It is nothing a restart doesn't fix. If pwnage doesn't have those kinds of problems I'd say it's better just for that fact.
I think the first thing to find out is what application is causing this. I doubt that ziPhone alone or pwnage would be the culprit. What have you installed since jb'ing?

THEHNIC

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
CA
Well If your phone is working then you should stay with what you already did. I had problems with ZiPhone and my phone so i did the restore and used the new tool from The Dev Team. Everything is working great on my phone now WIFI and Edge plus my BL is not downgraded anymore. So that is my 2 cents and not for sure if it helps you but you can always go and restore if you find you have a problem. Don't like the fact that ZiPhone makes my mac address stay the same for WIFI also.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
don't be dissing ZiPhone - it worked amazingly well for me.

No issues. Just Upgrade and Jailbreak - real simple
I don't diss ZiPhone.

I have used ZiPhone the whole time i have had my phone.

Now that WinPWN is out, I may go to 1.2/2.0...

but i wish pwnage would work with 1.1.3.

I really really don't like 1.1.4, i want to stay at 1.1.3, its better, IMHO.