Q: How do I find out what version a new iPhone is running?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

flambino

Sep 24, 2007
I'm awaiting an iPhone that was bought in an Apple Store Saturday. I'm hoping it'll still have version 1.0.x and not 1.1.x, so I can use it where I am.

But how do I find out what version it's running? I suppose iTunes can tell me, but this is a brand-new phone, so I don't know if it'll skip the info part and just get straight to ATT activation.

So again: How do I, without activating or anything, find out what version the iPhone is running?

flambino

Sep 24, 2007
No worries. You know there's also a (apparently successful) rollback method to revert to 1.0.2 from 1.1.1 right? If not, see this piece:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking...ut-unlocked-phones-still-cant-call-305230.php
Yeah, I saw, but I think it still breaks unlocking and jailbreaking options, though I'm not sure. I think it's just a way to unbrick your phone to a point where it'll work with a valid ATT sim, but no 3rd party apps or anything else. But again, I'm not sure.

I don't get why it's all so damn difficult to get straight answers from places like the Dev Team's wiki. So many of these things have simple yes/no answers, but no one seems to just write that.