Quality Issues

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
I have never had a problem with my iPhone...but recently i came upon a thread dealing with the differences in screens with the Version 5 and 7 model iPhones. I have version 7 and while i do have the whitish grid on my screen when put into a certain type of light it really didn't bother me. What does bother me is when i went to check my brothers iPhone i noticed his screen is much brighter than mine and mine seems almost a bit washed out. And i also noticed that his overall quality just seems to be better than mine. The chrome on my iPhone doesn't fit completely flush with the rest of the phone while his is perfectly smooth. His home button is also flush with the edge of the phone and has a nice pop when you push it, mine on the other hand is not flush and fells a bit less "intact". All of the other buttons just seem more sturdy than mine do.

I don't know if its just my phone, or if there is a difference in the two models
Any suggestions on what i can do or if i just have to live with it?

Thanks in advance

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
You could always take it back and see if you can swap it, but if it's just nit picking more than a manufacturers defect, they may not do it.

Personally, if you've got a good screen with no dead/stuck pixels, I wouldn't play russian roulette with it if you don't need to.

As for the 7 screens, mine and my gf's are perfectly fine, as well as a lot of others who have posted in the thread on this. Don't let the psychosomatics of having a 7 screen and hearing some people's screens were problematic convince you your screen is bad. All 7's are not bad, and I'm sure all 5's are not good either. It just seems like there are more 7's than 5's available now, and some folks have felt there was a problem with their particular screen.

Turn the auto-brightness off of both phones, turn the brightness all the way up, and at 50%, and compare them. If it's noticeably bad, take it to a store and compare it with the display iPhones. If it's visibly different, it could be a defective backlight, and the Apple geniuses should be able to see it as well.

As for the case defects... if they are misassembled, it's a defect, take it back. If it's barely noticeable, don't be upset if they won't replace it. you may want to wait until the stores start doing in store repairs, and see if they'll open it up, align it a bit better, and put it back together again.

You have a 1 yr warrantee on manufacturer defects, you don't need to rush off and return it if it's working but the case edge seems off by a half millimeter. You can wait until you're going on vacation and won't need it, and drop it off at the store at a convenient time. Buy AppleCare, and you have two years.

Basically, don't sweat it... if your phone has a defect, Apple will take care of it. But if the phone is usable, don't feel like you need to rush out and replace it if it's out of your way... the warrantee doesn't expire in 14 or 30 days, that's only the time you have to return it if you don't want to keep it, or to get out of your contract with AT&T if your having problems with their services.

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
thank you very much for your help...i am trying to convince myself that my phone is fine but i compared it to my brothers screen as you asked me to do and once again there is quite a difference with how much better his screen looks to mine...as to the build i umderstand this is just a small detail but i just cant seem to overlook it when i have another iPhone setting right next to me that is better...it just doesn't make sense to me...but maybe i shouldnt worry about it and tto not take the chance of driving down to Apple and them not being able to do anything...but why the difference with the models:confused:

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I bought mine on the very first day they were released.
Bought my wife one two days ago.
Hers appears to have a much better (brighter and clearer) screen then I have and the overall reaction the unit has is much more smooth (ie. when typing on the keyboard the buttons react instantaneous and I don't find myself having to push to the left of each letter).

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
well i see im not the only one with this problem...have you noticed any other differences? i felt that my brothers phone is built better but i haven't moticed a difference with actual speed of the device i guess ill have to look into that a little more

RomeoSto

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Chicago IL
I might look into this as well seeing how you noticed the phones that came with the new bunch were better. I got mines the day of 6-29 as well.... haven't had any problems with it but I also haven't been able to compare the screen quality or anything to that of another iPhone.

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
I got my phone about a week after it came out and my brother got his the day it came out...when we did that code to find out what version we had he has the 5 version and i have the 7 version...i did some research and found that other have noticed the same thing...his screen is better and it just has an overall better qaulity i don't know if its due to the model dofference or if i have somewhat of a faulty phone

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
I don't have the exact code but if you go to you number and type in #3001*12345#* (not quite sure) and then press the call button it'll bring you to a menu and you click on the tab marked version and you'll either have a 7###### number or a 5###### number which seems preferable sorry if the code is wrong

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
the correct code is *3001#12345#* just enter that into your number pad press call and go down to version and you'll see the number...whatever number it starts with is the model you have...keep me posted on what you find out abput yours to see if there is some kind of trend

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
I have a 7 and while I thought it was perfect I put it up to my brothers 5 and I was kind of disappointed his screen is nice n bright my screen is only about 3/4 as bright as his and mine almost looks a bit washed out compared to his...so I don't know if its the model or just my phone

toothie37

Jul 14, 2007
I have a 7 and while I thought it was perfect I put it up to my brothers 5 and I was kind of disappointed his screen is nice n bright my screen is only about 3/4 as bright as his and mine almost looks a bit washed out compared to his...so I don't know if its the model or just my phone
I've had both a 5 and now a 7. I had to return the 5 due to charging issues and sporadic lockups. Yes the 5 screen is about 2X as bright, but I never kept it above 1/4 with auto brightness on. With the 7 screen I keep it 1/2 with auto brightness, and get better battery life than the 5. You can definitely notice a difference in contrast between the screens. I had/have no white dots or dead pixels with either screens. I have noticed that the speaker with the 5 was different than the 7. There is a gold piece of internals behind the speaker that I thought was something else, that I don't see with the 7. The 7 definitely has a better sounding speaker phone and overall clarity. It is a crap shoot if you return your unit, you might swap 1 problem for another. I am happy with the 7 and its high contrast, it works better with my eyes! I am curious to see how this 2 screens thing works out, because Apple techs "play dumb" when you ask them about it! As discussed before, I'm not going to sweat it, I'm just going to enjoy it, and I'll let this screen thing come to a head on its on.:p

Zman-iPhone

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
its ok, I love my iPhone to death. Nothings wrong with it and its perfecta. Screen brightness really doesn't bother me. Anything else with the 7's I should know about?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Maybe It Makes The Battery Last Longer

I've had both a 5 and now a 7. I had to return the 5 due to charging issues and sporadic lockups. Yes the 5 screen is about 2X as bright, but I never kept it above 1/4 with auto brightness on. With the 7 screen I keep it 1/2 with auto brightness, and get better battery life than the 5. You can definitely notice a difference in contrast between the screens. I had/have no white dots or dead pixels with either screens. I have noticed that the speaker with the 5 was different than the 7. There is a gold piece of internals behind the speaker that I thought was something else, that I don't see with the 7. The 7 definitely has a better sounding speaker phone and overall clarity. It is a crap shoot if you return your unit, you might swap 1 problem for another. I am happy with the 7 and its high contrast, it works better with my eyes! I am curious to see how this 2 screens thing works out, because Apple techs "play dumb" when you ask them about it! As discussed before, I'm not going to sweat it, I'm just going to enjoy it, and I'll let this screen thing come to a head on its on.:p
I just had a brainstorm. If it is true that the version 5 screen (1st released), is brighter than the (later released) version 7. Maybe Apple lowered the brightness to increase the battery time. I have a 7 version, and couldn't really see wanting or needing anything brighter. So maybe the lower brightness (if it's true) is a good thing. Of course this is just my opinion, no facts to support it...M

Zman-iPhone

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
i couldnt agree with you more, i honestly think that when its brightest (auto-brightness off (all the way up)) i think its really bright. everyone just makes it seem like there is so many things wrong with it. i think mine is perfect, ive had it for 5 days now and i think its the best thing ive bought.

yes, i think v.7 is better that v.5. thanks for the reassurance

oh, and btw, do you have little scratches and "stained smudges" on your chrome outlining?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I'm typing this on my version 7 iPhone. My 1st iPhone was version 5 and it had voice quality issues. It also didst seem stable due to constant crashes. My new v7 iPhones seems to be fine and I'm content for the moment. Also the battery last all day while I'm at work. This is a great little device.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I bought mine on the very first day they were released.
Bought my wife one two days ago.
Hers appears to have a much better (brighter and clearer) screen then I have and the overall reaction the unit has is much more smooth (ie. when typing on the keyboard the buttons react instantaneous and I don't find myself having to push to the left of each letter).
On the issue of reaction of the unit...

Things to try before comparing them again:

1) Reboot (5 seconds on power button, red arrow to turn off, power back on).

2) Make sure yours isn't full. Filling the memory to the brim may leave less for the OS to use. If yours has 7+GB on it, and hers is empty, that may be affecting the speed differences as well.

3) Clear your caches (history, cookie, etc.) in Settings->Safari.

4) Make sure one isn't doing background stuff at that particular time. If it's downloading and parsing email on yours when you test, but not hers, your CPU is going to be slightly busier than hers. So test it when it isn't doing anything else, with the same settings (is wi-fi/bluetooth off on both?).