Quasar for iPad: Amazing!

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by Tinman, May 25, 2012.

1. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well with the newly released jb today I finally had a chance to try Quasar. In a word it is, amazing.

In my opinion it is worth the $10 just for its backgrounding ability.

Couple of examples...

I can let Cydia spend its 2-10 minutes loading data and can't leave the app or it will start again. Not so with Quasar: I can run cydia in a window, or go fullscreen then back to a window and run another app either windowed or fullscreen.

I can fire up the Netflix app and watch a video while I have Safari open right next to it. If I want to maximise Safari I can do so and still hear whatever is playing in Netflix.

If an app rudely yanks me out of the app and into Safari or the App Store they pop up in a window and are easily closed. In some apps when that apps the app might refresh when you return. That doesn't happen with Quasar. It doesn't even "feel" like I am whisked away as it does to me when it is all fullscreen.

Basically it feels like my iPad and and mb air just got married. :)

Michael

2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm loving this app too and glad you started a separate thread for it - I did way too much thread hijacking on that other one.

3. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I am blown away by what the iPad and this app can do.... How about Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade II at the same time?! I was switching between the two and could not detect any slowdown in either. Pretty amazing in my opinion. :)

quasar3.PNG

Mike

4. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

One thing I have noticed that's a bit annoying. On the lock screen, if I slide to read an email, I can't close out of the mail app. I have to respring. Do either of you have that problem? Or anything similar?

5. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Hey Mike - thanks! I am sold - just finishing getting some of the basics back installed and I will be all over this.

6. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

One more super impressive thing I think I'm seeing from this tweak. This proper multitasking does not seem to having much effect on battery life at all. I was messing around with 4 and 5 apps open in windows for hours last night. My iPad started the evening at around 70% charge and it's still on 50% coming up for midday today.

How does battery life look for you guys while using it?

7. Michael Baturin

Gold

I find the tweak interesting but not as good as you both seem to find it.

First of all, after using it for a while, i seem to prefer that most apps open to be full screen initially. Having to open the app then hit full screen became somewhat obnoxious.

Second, the keyboard scales along with the window your using it in. I find a small safari window, for example, is tough to type in when the keyboard is so tiny.

Third, the windows are only able to size within a fixed portrait or landscape aspect ratio. This means creating equal size, side by side, or top over bottom, is impossible. Windows always seem to overlap causing a somewhat sloppy display.

Forth, the app seems to encourage closing background processes instead of backgrounding them so I find myself opening windows expecting to see what was there but then remembering I held down on close instead of just tapping it.

All in all the functionally is very cool but my personal opinion is that it slows me down more than it speeds me up. I guess there will be certain situations where having side by side windows will be useful but for everyday use I prefer my apps full screen by default.

Anyway to set it to open full screen by default?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I like the concept but it needs tweaking. I, too, would prefer my apps to launch fullscreen. And an easy way to tile would be nice... Perhaps Windows7-style shortcuts to make a half-or quarter-screen window and move it around to the sides and corners easily. If it could be disabled, at least apparently if not actually, without a respring that would be great as well.

But it's very cool and totally changes how it feels to use the iPad.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Oh yeah, I wish it didn't disable multitask gestures. I am completely addicted to those. At least give me the five-finger-pinch!

10. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I am not sure it is that great yet, I'm sure they will keep tweaking it but for now I uninstalled it. For my setup it did not play nice with dropbox. I would constantly have to respiring every time I used DB
    Tom

11. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

I think that a good update to the app would be to allow for certain apps to be ignored by Quasar and open full screen, much the same way that you can specify apps to show up in the Notifications. The only problem app I'm having is Atomic Web - I use it rather than mobile Safari, and when it opens up in a small window and then selected to go full-size, it locks up the iPad completely.

Great concept though, very much enjoying playing with it.

12. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Thats exactly the same problem I had.. lockup.
    Tom

13. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well after a few days I still love it, but for sure it needs tweaking.

The obvious, of course, is to allow apps of my choosing to always open full-screen. Or better yet, open without Quasar at all in some cases. Another is a better way to treat things when I hit the sleep button. I would only want apps of my choosing to continue to run when I put the iPad to sleep (e.g., a streaming app). Over the holiday weekend I was at a beach house with a lot people demo'ing Quasar: I showed Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade II running side by side with no slowdown. Then I pressed the sleep button on the iPad and went for a swim. An hour or two later I came back and could hear noise coming from my iPad: it was the two games still "playing." Fortunately, like Patrick said, it didn't really hurt batter too much (just got home and iPad is at 80% and was not charged at all since Friday). But there is absolutely no need to keep games like that running when I have intentionally put the device to sleep.

There are also apps that do not play well with Quasar--such as Baseball '12.

All that said, I still think the app is amazing.

Michael

14. Michael Baturin

Gold

Agreed. Also wondering if someone else can test this. It seems to force my airplay mirroring to display upside down. I uninstalled it and everything went back to normal - but I'm curious if it was a one off problem or if that is an issue for everyone.

15. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I will test that a little later, Michael. If it happens I will try deactivating Quasar in Settings to see if that fixes it--rather than needing to uninstall.

Another thing is it wipes out the recently used apps list on every iPad respring or restart. While I like the clean slate it gives me, if it is doing that so it can control background operation I would rather it just kill any iOS-style background apps and still leave them in the switcher.

This is when I wish Cydia had app store like ratings and reviews: so that this stuff is immediately addressed.

Michael

16. Michael Baturin

Gold

I actually tried to disable it first as well - followed by a respring - but the problem continued. It actually was not even Airplaying at one point even though the iPad said it should be. Its a step in the right direction but these issues prevent me from using it for now.

17. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

After reading this thread I'm tempted to JB my iPad3 solely for trying out Quasar. I never thought I'd have a need for JBing my iPad but this is quite tempting.