Question: 2 iPhones w/1 SIM

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
I've done several searches on this topic, so I'll apologize in advance if this is a repeat!

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 16g iPhone and keeping my current 8g. My thought is that the 8g would be great to take along during activities where it could potentially get damaged (i.e. snowboarding, hiking, etc.), and use the 16g more for daily life.

My question is: How does iTunes handle two different iPhones that are sharing a single sim? I have some ideas about how this might work, but I'd like to get some more expert opinions.

(I'm using a MacBook Pro).

Thanks!
N

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
While I am not 100% sure I would have to agree with the above statement. I don't think iTunes registers the sim it registers the serial on the device.

I could be wrong but I also think iTunes would treat it like 2 different iPhones.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
While I am not 100% sure I would have to agree with the above statement. I don't think iTunes registers the sim it registers the serial on the device.

I could be wrong but I also think iTunes would treat it like 2 different iPhones.
Your right, iTunes only recognizes the fact that there is 2 different devices. What I'd be concerned with: Can you sync the same music, videos, contacts, ect. onto two devices?

Won't work. When you get the new 16GB iPhone which I did exactly this today, it will need to be activated. To do this, the iPhone will be activated through iTunes as a replacement phone. The 16GB phone will activate, your sim card will then NOT work in the old iPhone. I tried then putting the sim from the new iPhone into my old iPhone and I get the message to insert a valid sim. Don't waste your time trying.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Won't work. When you get the new 16GB iPhone which I did exactly this today, it will need to be activated. To do this, the iPhone will be activated through iTunes as a replacement phone. The 16GB phone will activate, your sim card will then NOT work in the old iPhone. I tried then putting the sim from the new iPhone into my old iPhone and I get the message to insert a valid sim. Don't waste your time trying.
Thank you for the first hand experience. Clears that up.

Thank you for the first hand experience. Clears that up.
Then, as a further test, (I have three iPhones) I took my deactivated 1.1.3 8GB iPhone, took the sim out of my new 16GB iPhone and the phone prompted me to activate it. This is the phone that was working perfectly this morning before I got the new 16GB. I then put this 8GB in recovery mode and restored the phone and it restored perfectly. I then took the sim back out of this 8GB iPhone and placed it back into my new 16GB and it too still worked.

Why? I have no clue.

That's todays test, it you all want me to test out anything else, I can do so later after work.