Question about 3G functionality...

rmh636

Jul 10, 2008
I haven't been able to get a straight answer about this, but that's probably because I'm not looking hard enough.

I'd like to know what kind of functionality will be missing from the iPhone 3G if I don't pay for the data plan. I plan to use it as basically an iPod Touch and not use it as a phone at all.

Will I still be able to connect to the internet with wifi, etc...?

Thanks for any help.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I haven't been able to get a straight answer about this, but that's probably because I'm not looking hard enough.

I'd like to know what kind of functionality will be missing from the iPhone 3G if I don't pay for the data plan. I plan to use it as basically an iPod Touch and not use it as a phone at all.

Thanks for any help.
yes wifi will work, gps wont

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Thanks for any help.
You should still be able to access everything when you're on wifi, but why buy a 3G iPhone if you only want voice calling?

rmh636

Jul 10, 2008
^Because I won't be using it as a phone. I'll be using it for music, games, and checking email.

Is the $199 price only good if you subscribe to the data plan?

EDIT: after looking through some of the FAQs in your sig, it looks like even being able to use it requires a 2 year service contract? I'm not planning on paying for any service at all, so I'm guessing this won't work for what I want to do...

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
^Because I won't be using it as a phone. I'll be using it for music, games, and checking email.

why don't you get the first generation or an ipod touch? that way its cheaper monthly payments or none at all

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

You have to get the data plan to get the price. You might be able to drop it later; we just don't know yet. Good luck with that though.

rmh636

Jul 10, 2008
That's what I figured.

I was hoping it would basically function like an iPod Touch if I didn't want to commit to any contract.

Oh well, money saved.

Thanks for the help guys.

rmh636

Jul 10, 2008
Because I really like the $199 price point. Maybe the Touch will drop in price soon.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Because I really like the $199 price point. Maybe the Touch will drop in price soon.
seems like a waste wouldn't you prefer to spend an extra hundred on the touch and save your money every month?

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008

oh alright, I don't even know how much the touch is so I was wondering why you'd be getting an iPhone yet seemed to only want touch capabilities :)

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
oh alright, I don't even know how much the touch is so I was wondering why you'd be getting an iPhone yet seemed to only want touch capabilities :)
Regardless, he'll be paying like $600/year minimum even if he could only get a voice plan. It'd be much cheaper to just get an iPod touch. Plus, you can get a 32 gig Touch, which they don't offer for iPhone yet.