Question about activating my phone at home

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
I plan to pre-order from the Apple site, and I know that it comes with the sim card and you just plug it into iTunes and it'll be set up and good to go. The thing is, I'm assuming that when you plug it into iTunes it puts everything from your old phone onto your new one, and I don't want to do that - I like setting up my phone from scratch and manually putting my numbers in - it gives me a good chance to get rid of old numbers that don't work anymore, ect. Plus, I want to totally redo my music. I want a nice blank, clean phone to set up. So how do I plug my new iPhone 4 into iTunes and get it set up to go without getting any of my old data in it?

tia :)

PS - the one thing I'd like to keep, obviously, are my apps :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
When you restore a new phone, you have two choices. Restore from backup or restore as new. You want to restore as new. This will put no info on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Just do a backup a day before you get the new iPhone. Then when you get the new iPhone sync from a back up. All your texts, apps, contacts will be on your the new phone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
iconone said:
Just do a backup a day before you get the new iPhone. Then when you get the new iPhone sync from a back up. All your texts, apps, contacts will be on your the new phone.
He doesn't want them. Wants to start clean.

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
When you restore a new phone, you have two choices. Restore from backup or restore as new. You want to restore as new. This will put no info on the phone.

Do you think if I restore as new, and then go to the app store, I'll be able to re-download all my old apps without paying again, or am I going to have to pay?

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
lionqueen said:

Do you think if I restore as new, and then go to the app store, I'll be able to re-download all my old apps without paying again, or am I going to have to pay?
Your apps should be in you iTunes. Once you have paid for a app you don't have to pay for it again. Just do a restore from new then put what music you want on the new phone and sync. All your apps should sync with whatever new music you put on it.