Question About Activation

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Just made the move from the V1 that I camped out for on iDay to the 32GB Black 3GS. My question is, since my area won't have 3G until September, can I continue to use my V1 as my phone until I activate the 3GS, or will I have to activate the new iPhone upon receipt ? Probably a dumb question but would appreciate any help.

Also, I really have liked the iVolution case made by Vaio and was wondering would their case for the 3G fit the 3GS also. Thanks in advance. Cheers !

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hi Everyone,

Also, I really have liked the iVolution case made by Vaio and was wondering would their case for the 3G fit the 3GS also. Thanks in advance. Cheers !
Yes - the 3G and the 3GS share the same physical dimensions.

They're both the same size, too! :laugh2:

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Just made the move from the V1 that I camped out for on iDay to the 32GB Black 3GS. My question is, since my area won't have 3G until September, can I continue to use my V1 as my phone until I activate the 3GS, or will I have to activate the new iPhone upon receipt ? Probably a dumb question but would appreciate any help.

Thanks to Napoleon for the answer to the size of the new 3GS, but I'd really like an answer to the activation part of my question. TIA !

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Logic would suggest that as long as you do not connect your new 3Gs to iTunes (and thus do not activate it) you could go on using your V1 unit. HOWEVER, having said that, and having done nominally the same thing as you (2G -> 3Gs in my case), I had to select a new data plan when I pre-ordered my phone as the 2G plan I had was not directly transferable to the 3Gs. So in MY case, since I had to select a new data plan, it made sense for me to activate my new toy upon delivery. If your plans were exactly the same, I'd bet you could get away not activating the 3Gs unit until you wanted to.

Having said all this, why delay using the 3Gs? Yeah, I know about the 3G network issue you've cited, but the 3Gs can still work with Edge. Differences in data plan?