Question about adding an iPhone line to existing contract.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jempast

Jun 29, 2007
I have a verizon cellphone and I also want an iPhone. But, I don't want to open an account with AT&T. My father has a contract with AT&T (a family plan) he already has 3 lines on the contract. If I were to get a iPhone line on his plan would the line be $29.00 per month for the iPhone line? Would there be a deposit that has to be paid for the iPhone line. My Dad has been with Cingular for several years. I had heard that the only features you can use on the iPhone without activating it is the iPod feature. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
unless the iPhone is activated or unlocked, the iPhone would be a brick. you cant use anything other than an emegency call...
as for the how much that would depend on the plan you wanted for text messaging. its 9.99 to add a line then 20, 30 , or 40 for the iPhone plan... Its all on the att website.

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Why not just close the verison plan and put that towards the family plan. You are probable spending at least $50 anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have a verizon cellphone and I also want an iPhone. But, I don't want to open an account with AT&T. My father has a contract with AT&T (a family plan) he already has 3 lines on the contract. If I were to get a iPhone line on his plan would the line be $29.00 per month for the iPhone line? Would there be a deposit that has to be paid for the iPhone line. My Dad has been with Cingular for several years. I had heard that the only features you can use on the iPhone without activating it is the iPod feature. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks.
That's exactly what it would cost. $29.99. You might want to think about talking your dad into upgrading his familytalk plan to include more minutes though. He'd probably want to you to pay that difference as well. He could probably move up to the next level for another $10/month.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I have a verizon cellphone and I also want an iPhone. But, I don't want to open an account with AT&T. ....

I'm in a similar situation where I have 3 Familytalk-plan lines with VZW, and my 2 year contract doesn't end for another 6 months.

I called VZW to see if I could "remove 1 of the 3 phones" without an ETF (Early Termination Fee)...no dice. All 3 Familytalk phones have their own separate contracts with their own ETF...so if I switched all 3 to AT&T, I would need to pay ETFx3!

I can't justify paying for 2 overlapping contracts, so I guess I'll be waiting for about 6 months until I buy...and living vicariously through these forums ;)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm in a similar situation where I have 3 Familytalk-plan lines with VZW, and my 2 year contract doesn't end for another 6 months.

I called VZW to see if I could "remove 1 of the 3 phones" without an ETF (Early Termination Fee)...no dice. All 3 Familytalk phones have their own separate contracts with their own ETF...so if I switched all 3 to AT&T, I would need to pay ETFx3!

I can't justify paying for 2 overlapping contracts, so I guess I'll be waiting for about 6 months until I buy...and living vicariously through these forums ;)
I can't say that I blame you. One of my friends wants one tremendously, but she just signed a two year gig with T-Mobile. I guess she will give her T-Mobile to her seven year old to get the iPhone (she just rolls that way). Wouldn't be surprised if she didn't get one next week on her birthday.