Question about good holster style case-Griffin Elan or Belkin or other?

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Belkin slim fit has been good for me so far

Slimness is a high priority for me as is stealthyness. I like the looks of this case but the best part is how slim it is. This case is Kate Moss on a crash diet. It's pretty tight so I don't push my phone all the way to the bottom and then with a little push from the bottom it comes out easily. Can use volume buttons while it is in the case but it's fairly clumsy. I like the fact that the screen is not exposed as I was worried that a case with the screen exposed on my hip would get scratched if I stagger in a drunken stuper... uh, inadvertently bump into something. It is impossible for it to fall out it's so tight but one time the belt clip came off my jeans when I sat in my truck so I will keep an eye on that.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I have the Griffin case and I like it. The problem is its only snug when the screen is out. When my screen is in, the phone can easily slide out the case if you were the clip sideways. (This happened in the lobby of my office). This actually makes sense because of the way the iPhone is shaped. If you have a snug fit face inward then I would imagine you have to FIGHT to get it in with the face outward because of the shape of the iPhone.

I've actually been through three of these clips, first box was missing the screen protector, second time I broke the case trying to make it fit more snug, and the third time I got hooked getting into a car and the belt clip broke. Apple replaced it for free every time but I've never had a snug fit with the face inwards. Actually now that I think of it, the one I have now is probably the loosest fit unfortunately.

In my opinion it is by far the best design but I wish mine fit more snug with the face inward.

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
the elan holster is not great. it looks nice but isn't. the clip easily breaks as it has happened to multiple people. also, the phone is IMPOSSIBLE to take out of the case if it is on your belt so calls are always missed and it is just a pain and a easy way to drop your phone trying to take it out of the case. but i also tried the belkin, didn't like it either. at first it was tough to take out but then it loosened up a little. it was just ugly though and was tough to attach the belt clip to shorts with no belt such as basketball shorts.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I love the Belkin Slim-Fit case I got at my AT&T. It's slim like the phone, the belt clip is extremely low-profile so I can put it in my pocket w/o knowing there's a belt clip on it, and it has a nice screen on the bottom to both allow easy removal of the iPhone from the case AND to be able to hear the ringer. Some cases apparently have overlooked this small, but important fact.

I wholeheartedly give a great review for the Belkin Slim-Fit. I believe there's another thread on here I am involved in that has several other positive reviews of this case.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/best-case-for-pocket-or-purse.3543/
interesting... I, too, got the belkin holster at AT&T. However, I'm not to quick to give my acolades. Quite the opposite, actually. Not only is the case splitting already on one of the seams, but on numerous ocassions the holster has come right off my belt. Normally its in the car but today it happened on a golf cart. Thankfully when I noticed it was sitting right there. Imagine this happening on a subway. You'd never see it again! Belkin is a good company but they seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I wouldn't suggest the Elan. It's very nice, but as said it breaks easily. It's a little bit difficult to get the phone out, especially without pressing one of the side buttons. Find something else. I don't know what to get now that mine broke.

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I received the belkin case I believe most of you are talking about at the AT&T store when I purchased my new found love and because they gave the case to me for free I have no complaints about it. Myphone fits snug inside and I keep it in a cargo pocket in my shorts so I don't worry about it falling out.

However i would like to purchase a case that would be good for working out with. Something like the elo case for the iPod that had the armband and belt clip option. Has anyone seen something like that? Or believe that elo will make an iPhone version?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
I love the Belkin Slim-Fit case I got at my AT&T. It's slim like the phone, the belt clip is extremely low-profile so I can put it in my pocket w/o knowing there's a belt clip on it, and it has a nice screen on the bottom to both allow easy removal of the iPhone from the case AND to be able to hear the ringer. Some cases apparently have overlooked this small, but important fact.

I wholeheartedly give a great review for the Belkin Slim-Fit. I believe there's another thread on here I am involved in that has several other positive reviews of this case.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/best-case-for-pocket-or-purse.3543/
yes I just bought the belkin slim fit case and its so amazing the only problem I have though Is taking it out when your phone is ringing I always his the sleep button or can't get it out in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrisinhouston

Aug 14, 2007
I purchased the Casemate holster clip on at the ATT store with my phone and it broke a week later. The small spud on the back of the case came off. I returned it and got another and that one broke just like the first one in about another week. I went back and decided to get an Elan and really liked it until it broke while on vacation about 10 days later. The Elan clip broke at the part where it attaches to the case, the ratcheting ring part split in half.

I did really like the Elan and no ATT stores near me on vacation had one so I emailed Griffen tech support. They wrote back and got my home address and put one in the mail and then told me that they are making a better version that is tougher and will also mail me one when it comes out at no extra charge! I would assume the new model has a cutout for the camera as mine did not and I snipped out a chunk of the corner with a wire cutters.

I can only imagine that the problems come from a lack of time to test the phone with the accessories these companies are producing.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
yes I just bought the belkin slim fit case and its so amazing the only problem I have though Is taking it out when your phone is ringing I always his the sleep button or can't get it out in time.
I just push it up from the bottom a bit and then grab from the sides. That way you can only hit the volume buttons if you hit any buttons. Have had good luck with slimfit so far. I was worried that it might drop off but that has only happened once in 6 weeks so I don't think it is a problem.