Question about iPhone 3G to iPod touch

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
OK, I got my new 3GS and am now going to give my wife my old 3G...

I've read about using the iPhone as an "iPod Touch" i.e. not using the cell services and using it strictly with wifi, but I still had a few questions about that. I've searched and searched and I think I got most of it figured out but...

1) I was told that I need to have a SIM card in the phone for the wifi to work. I still have my old SIM card in there, which is inoperable but tied to my phone number. So will it be OK if I continue to keep that SIM card in there?

2) Can I set it up on my iTunes or do I need to set my wife up on iTunes on her laptop.

3) If I connect it to my iTunes can I put my applications on that phone? As technically I still own it, I'd like to be able to keep the apps on both phones.

There may be more but those are all I can think of for now.

Thanks in Advance,

Jim

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
OK, I got my new 3GS and am now going to give my wife my old 3G...

I've read about using the iPhone as an "iPod Touch" i.e. not using the cell services and using it strictly with wifi, but I still had a few questions about that. I've searched and searched and I think I got most of it figured out but...

1) I was told that I need to have a SIM card in the phone for the wifi to work. I still have my old SIM card in there, which is inoperable but tied to my phone number. So will it be OK if I continue to keep that SIM card in there?

2) Can I set it up on my iTunes or do I need to set my wife up on iTunes on her laptop.

3) If I connect it to my iTunes can I put my applications on that phone? As technically I still own it, I'd like to be able to keep the apps on both phones.

There may be more but those are all I can think of for now.

Thanks in Advance,

Jim

Ok, it isn't possible to use a 3g on WIFI only without having a phone turned on. What you would need to do is activate the phone with a valid simcard through iTunes. Then jailbreak the phone and within a cydia app called (i think) SBS Prefs you are able to turn off all data services and keep wifi on

Thats the only way i think it can be done.

You can sync it to any laptop running iTunes. You will be able to sync all apps associated with that iTunes account to the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't need to jailbreak it. I will work fine on WiFi and you can use it like an iPod touch. It's already been activated, but the SIM isn't valid anymore, so it will just say "no service" at the top. You can take the SIM out if you want and it will say "no sim" or you can just leave your old SIM in there, it won't make any difference as to the function of the iPhone. The new SIM in the 3GS has your phone #/info transferred to it. You can sync them both with the same iTunes account if you want and put the apps you buy on both devices.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ah, it must be different in the US then, as if I take my sim out I get a warning message on the screen saying insert SIM and wifi will not work..

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Interesting. I'm on ATT and with an inactivated ATT SIM Card, I am able to connect to wifi.

Thanks for all your help.

I guess with the inactivated SIM I don't have to worry about jailbreaking and turning data/cell services off.

Jim

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right. You don't have to jailbreak it. You can't really turn data off, you either have it or you don't. In your case you won't, since there is no phone plan.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Sorry for the stupid questions.

Been using smart phones since my first Palm III.

This is my first iPhone and all I have to say is "wow!"

Jim