Question About iPod Classic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I would like to put my whole CD collection on my new Classic iPod (160GB). I've never owned an iPod before so I'm relying on the expertise of you iPod owners out there. My question is this.....After I rip my CDs into iTunes and sync them onto my iPod, do I have to leave those previously ripped CDs in my iTunes library when I sync new music, or can I delete those CDs and add others ? I know with my iPhone, if I sync music to it and then delete them, the next time I sync new music to it, it deletes the music I've deleted for iTunes. Please help. Thanks in advance.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I would like to put my whole CD collection on my new Classic iPod (160GB). I've never owned an iPod before so I'm relying on the expertise of you iPod owners out there. My question is this.....After I rip my CDs into iTunes and sync them onto my iPod, do I have to leave those previously ripped CDs in my iTunes library when I sync new music, or can I delete those CDs and add others ? I know with my iPhone, if I sync music to it and then delete them, the next time I sync new music to it, it deletes the music I've deleted for iTunes. Please help. Thanks in advance.
It works just like your iPhone about deleting music.

But you can put an ipod in 'manually mode' to manage the music by hand like if was on an external hard drive. It will not auto sync in this mode. You have to add and remove files manually.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
It works just like your iPhone about deleting music.

But you can put an ipod in 'manually mode' to manage the music by hand like if was on an external hard drive. It will not auto sync in this mode. You have to add and remove files manually.
Thanks go out to 420greg. Now, can you or someone else walk me through the step by step procedure of adding my CDs to the iPod Classic and then deleting the CD from the hard drive w/o it removing it from my iPod ? Thanks in advance.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Thanks go out to 420greg. Now, can you or someone else walk me through the step by step procedure of adding my CDs to the iPod Classic and then deleting the CD from the hard drive w/o it removing it from my iPod ? Thanks in advance.
Go to iTunes preferences and click Advanced | Importing

set On CD insert to Import CD
Check Auto track name and Create Files track number

Click OK.

Hook up the ipod and click the summary tab. Choose Manually Manage Music.

Now just move your music files from the computer to the ipod. Just like you were coping files from one folder to the other in windows explorer. iTunes is laid out the same way. Select the song files from you music list and drag them to the ipod icon on the left and drop them on to the device.