Question about location reminder on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by jareknyc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

Hey guys If I ask my iPhone to remind to me call my wife after work, is the gps location arrow i see by that clock on the top, is that draining battery or not really? I have a feeling it's using gps all the time to see if I left location... Am I right?

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Good question - and something I wanted to ask as well. Since the battery does seem to drain rather fast - I am wondering how the phone has a constant awareness of your location without using battery

3. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

It doesn't know w/out using battery, location services will drain our battery, all of them aren't always needed, but there always will be drain just how much is the question.

4. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

It is using battery. That's why I don't think I'll ever use that function. If you did a reminder in the morning at work, you may not have a battery when you leave. 

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

5. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

if you just wanted a reminder to call a person at a certain time...it shouldnt need gps....just ask Siri to remind you at a time instead of when you leave a place

6. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I think it uses cell tower triangulation and wifi hotspot location instead of GPS for the location-based reminders. I told it to remind me to clean my damn kitchen when I get home...and I got the beep once I got to within a couple miles from my home. That way, it doesn't use much more battery than the phone uses in normal operation. Since it has to connect to cell towers anyway, it's only a slight blip on the radar to ask for the location of those towers when it jumps over to another one.

It's hard to make a repeatable test out of it to determine exactly how much, though, because the power it uses is never exactly the same even in the same route and same usage every day.

7. Mhlewis

Mhlewis New Member

Not sure if my question is on topic for this forum, but it is about the reminder by location feature. As far as I can tell you can't actually enter an address, you can only choose the addresses of your contacts. Is this correct or am I missing something?

8. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

I cannot find how to set the "remind me" and "geofence" in the Reminders app. There is nothing in location services to say "turn on" and I cannot find any option to select a "location" in the reminders app.

Does it require iCloud to work (have not completed my transfer of Mobile Me to iCloud) or is there a feature in setting that I have not found?

9. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

Scratch that...found it online. For those of you who do not know, once the reminder is created and done...hit the gray arrow to the right of the reminder in the reminder list and then it will open a window with the reminder title and the next option is remind me....hit the right arrow AGAIN and you get the location option.

10. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

11. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

I just tell my Siri remind me to call my wife after I leave work