Question about old vs 3G iPhone

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
Looking at how the new 3G plan will cost 35 dollars a month, i was looking at buying the original iPhone, if i can still find it. My first question is would ATT/Apple allow me to just buy the phone and not activate it? Second if i activated the original iPhone after July 11th when the new 3G model comes out, would i still just have to pay 20 bucks? Or would i be forced to pay the 35 dollar per month charge.
Thanks

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I do not think Apple has anymore 2G phones to buy new. I think you will have to buy one used. But I read that they will still have the $20 2G data plan for the old phones. A lot of people here on EIC are giving their 2G to a friend or family member when they get 3G. (That is what I am doing).

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you can find a V1, you can activate or unlock it. The $20 data plan is still there for the V1.

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
what would the downside be to buying an "unlocked" iPhone, and would i still be able to hook it up to a family plan or would ATT say no, because it is unlocked?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
what would the downside be to buying an "unlocked" iPhone, and would i still be able to hook it up to a family plan or would ATT say no, because it is unlocked?
The downside would be you wouldn't know how it was treated by the previous owner.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008

Well if you were using it for AT&T you wouldn't need an unlocked phone. You will pay more for it (for some dumb reason). Just try to find an unlocked iPhone or if you get an unlocked one just restore it when you get it