Question about Outlook and SMS

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
I'm using my company's exchange server to get my emails through Outlook, but I'm using manual fetch (not push) to preserve battery life, so I set a rule in outlook to redirect my emails to my phone (5555555555@cingularME.com) as a text message so that I get notification that an email has come in. Problem is, the texts, while all coming from the same email address, show the sender as a 10-digit number, which are different (sequential). This causes them to come in as individual conversations, which makes them a pain to delete (I get 70 a day). Anyone know how I can make them come in under one conversation?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I do not believe you can make them come in under one conversation. I also do not see where you are saving battery life switching from one "Push" method to another. These sms are being pushed to your phone and, presumably, you are then manually fetching your email once you get the notification. Just turn push on and delete the rule. I can't see where you are saving battery life and your possibly using more than if you just set it to push.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Wow, push just torches my battery. Is it just constantly querying the exchange server?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
What do you have pushed? If your exchange address book is anything like mine.....it's huge and quite possibly it's constantly downloading your address book. I work for a state agency and our address book contains everyone in the state with a state email address, no way in hell would I have that set to push. I don't get 70 emails a day but I get 30-50 depending on the day, push doesn't use that much battery for me.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Got the texts to come in under one conversation by changing the number I redirect the messages to from number.cingularME.com to number.mobile.cingular.com now they come in from 1 number (not incrementing numbers) so I can deleting them all at once by clearing the conversation. Only problem is each redirected text gets split up into 4 texts, so when they come in my phone sounds like a slot machine when I've hit the jackpot. Any ideas?