Question about qr barcodes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
Lately I see a lot of these funky barcodes on products I have bought in stores. Laundry detergent, food packages and even saw one on tv when I was watching something on the CW network.
What are these for?

I was just curious

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Lately I see a lot of these funky barcodes on products I have bought in stores. Laundry detergent, food packages and even saw one on tv when I was watching something on the CW network.
What are these for?

I was just curious

Takes you directly to their web page.
Qr stands for quick reader. So you don't have to type in their address.

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
Oh ok thank you for the explanation. I guess I don't see what the big thing is behind this concept. I really don't care to visit tides website lol.

I thought maybe it was something to do with scanning to get a price for the product or information to use the product or like nutrition info on food or something.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
They do make barcode readers. I use them a lot. U can scan most any barcode and will give you a list of websites that have that product and for how much. Great for comparative shopping.
I have a free one that works great. I also use it at Barnes and nobles to scan books I want but not going to pay their price for. When I get home I can look at the scanners history and not forget anything.

MuscleMommy

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 8, 2011
They do make barcode readers. I use them a lot. U can scan most any barcode and will give you a list of websites that have that product and for how much. Great for comparative shopping.
I have a free one that works great. I also use it at Barnes and nobles to scan books I want but not going to pay their price for. When I get home I can look at the scanners history and not forget anything.
Ohhhh what is that app? I need that when I am looking for the best price on items that I do not need to buy right on the spot

Oct 3, 2009
Takes you directly to their web page.
Qr stands for quick reader. So you don't have to type in their address.
It's actually Quick Response but yes.

Some times the QR is linked to a special offer that you can't get via another means. But they get over used and many just link you to another version of the ad you saw the QR in. I just read a thing in the news about how in the marketing world they are being phased out.

peterthomas

Bronze
Oct 4, 2011
QR Codes are smart phone recognizable codes that takes you directly to the given data, you ll be able to go to the link and access the data just by scanning the QR Code.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
They've been used in advertising for years in Asia. Popularity in North America has never really grown until now. I pitched an idea to Nokia years ago when I was big into their phones. Their North American presense was always a joke and a group of us brought some ideas to Nokia to try and change this. Unfortunately, Nokia chose instead to pull farther out of the NA market rather than trying to beef it up.

Oct 3, 2009
I just saw an interesting use of the codes. It was on a light display. You scan the code and it showed you a video demonstration of the flashing pattern of the lights. They had a different one for every strobe light on the display. Pretty cool.

sorbet

Bronze
Dec 11, 2011
Ohio
As mentioned earlier, they take you to websites of products/brands, or offer exclusive features, like behind the scenes shots of a runway show if the QR code is on, say, a Gucci ad in a Vogue.

When I was a visual manager at Gap, we ran a contest where people would scan the codes in the store and they were entered to win the employee discount for a year. So sometimes places do stuff like that to get people involved.