Question about re-jailbreaking...?

brooke03

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis, Tennessee
Okay so I have a 3g jailbroken on 2.0.2

I want to upgrade to 2.1... will I have to re-jailbreak? Will I lose everything I did after jailbreaking my phone the first time?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
yes you will lose everything and you will have to rejailbreak.

brooke03

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis, Tennessee
yes you will lose everything and you will have to rejailbreak.
Well damn. Haha, thanks for the quick answer though.

Is there any way to back it up so that I will still HAVE everything? I want to keep my theme and everything the exact same... :( is it really worth the upgrade at this point?

The only reason I'm wanting to do this is so I can use MobileMe, which only works with iTunes 8. And (if I'm not mistaken), I have to have the upgrade in order for my phone to work with iTunes 8. (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm totally new to everything).

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Yeah I just went through this and it did not work, so the phone is restoring back to original.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well I know you can go trough aptbackup in cydia and it will make a list of all your 3rd party apps and redownload them. I'm not sure about the theme and the iTunes 8 part. I thought you could run iTunes 8 with any firmware but I'm not sure.

brooke03

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis, Tennessee
well I know you can go trough aptbackup in cydia and it will make a list of all your 3rd party apps and redownload them. I'm not sure about the theme and the iTunes 8 part. I thought you could run iTunes 8 with any firmware but I'm not sure.
Yeah me either; that's one reason why I'm afraid to upgrade without knowing.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes it is, without a doubt, worth going through a jailbrake again. 2.1 is a billion times more stable and responsive.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Aptbackup will download EVERYTHING you've downloaded from Cydia (ie Apps, themes, etc) and it will restore them all back again. You just won't be able to save any settings or scores from the apps though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You can backup app data (game scores, etc) with AppBackup, installed through Cydia.

brooke03

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis, Tennessee
Aptbackup will download EVERYTHING you've downloaded from Cydia (ie Apps, themes, etc) and it will restore them all back again. You just won't be able to save any settings or scores from the apps though.
Okay, just installed that program and backed up... now what WILL I lose?
Will my themes/backgrounds/etc still be there? I changed a lot of my stuff (like the SMS bubbles).. that should all still be there too since I replaced the original files in SSH ... I guess?