Question about selling 3G on eBay

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I went on eBay today and saw that the 3g 16gb is selling for $1000! My 3g is on order and I was wondering if their was a penalty if I chose to sell my 3g and keep my v1?

I'll be fine with my v1 if I could make another $700

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you choose to sell it before your first month of service, you will be forced to return it, and if you don't, you are charged the full unsubsidized price of ?$600. (

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Of course you can sell your 3G iPhone, you just can't terminate your new 2 year contract after you've sold the phone. I don't even think you can take off the 3G data plan and put the cheaper v1 iPhone data plan back on. So bascially you have to pay an extra $10 a month (equates to $240 over the 2 years) even though you don't have 3G in the v1 iPhone. But if you do the math: $235 + $240 < $1000 = $$$

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
If you choose to sell it before your first month of service, you will be forced to return it, and if you don't, you are charged the full unsubsidized price of ?$600. (
Well how would att/Apple know that it is sold, if you wish you sell it before 30 days. I would do this.. selling it off at ebay and will report Apple that the phone is broken or something and then getting a new iPhone 3G from Apple store (this time it would be for $399)and will be keeping my contract .. So Selling price - $399 would be my profit...
Suggestions?
and btw the unsubsidised price is $499 for 16GB not $599?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well how would att/Apple know that it is sold, if you wish you sell it before 30 days. I would do this.. selling it off at ebay and will report Apple that the phone is broken or something and then getting a new iPhone 3G from Apple store (this time it would be for $399)and will be keeping my contract .. So Selling price - $399 would be my profit...
Suggestions?
and btw the unsubsidised price is $499 for 16GB not $599?
You would be locked into contract and would continue paying for service for it and the buyer would have to use your number. I don't think the seller would want that and the buyer would want their own number. No?

And I wasn't sure of the price. Thats why I had the question mark in front of it.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Of course you can sell your 3G iPhone, you just can't terminate your new 2 year contract after you've sold the phone. I don't even think you can take off the 3G data plan and put the cheaper v1 iPhone data plan back on. So bascially you have to pay an extra $10 a month (equates to $240 over the 2 years) even though you don't have 3G in the v1 iPhone. But if you do the math: $235 + $240 < $1000 = $$$
?
Of course you can always cancel your contract. You would just have to pay the ETF (Early Termination Fee) of $175.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
So they wouldn't care if I bought a 2nd 3g just days after buying my first one?

I may do this if my phone comes in soon

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

Well they wouldn't mind, but unless you have another line eligible for the $199 or $299 prices, you would have to pay the full unsubsidized price.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I was going to do something like this with the 1st iPhone and if you do, Apple / AT&T doesn't have to hold up the warranty.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
You would be locked into contract and would continue paying for service for it and the buyer would have to use your number. I don't think the seller would want that and the buyer would want their own number. No?

And I wasn't sure of the price. Thats why I had the question mark in front of it.
Lots of us are not aware that you can pop in any att sim in this iPhone 3G..
and it would work..So this number thing is out of question... and regarding the contract I would be continuing with att and after selling it off at ebay I would get another one for $399,

Can att or Apple would say NO to me for one more iPhone at the same account, I would cook up some store regarding my current iPhone 3g ,,,,
Thoughts?

Mar 17, 2008
Lots of us are not aware that you can pop in any att sim in this iPhone 3G..
and it would work..So this number thing is out of question... and regarding the contract I would be continuing with att and after selling it off at ebay I would get another one for $399,

Can att or Apple would say NO to me for one more iPhone at the same account, I would cook up some store regarding my current iPhone 3g ,,,,
Thoughts?
I planned on doing the same thing except i was just going to put on another line on my family plan get the cheap price on the iPhone the cancel the line....i ordered a 16gig through DF...now some good questions are being bought up about the process..
Some of these people on Ebay are selling 3-4 makes me wonder how exactly they getting them?

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
I planned on doing the same thing except i was just going to put on another line on my family plan get the cheap price on the iPhone the cancel the line....i ordered a 16gig through DF...now some good questions are being bought up about the process..
Some of these people on Ebay are selling 3-4 makes me wonder how exactly they getting them?
They might be getting one against each family member and then signing an ETF so math would be... $850-900(avg.selling price at ebay-16gb)-$299+ tax +$175 ===== :laugh2: good profit

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
this is 100% OK to do. i have already sold my phone because they were going for so much on ebay! there is also a nice demand on craigslist and its free to list there

after you sell your iPhone, the new owner just has to pop in their SIM and it will work fine for them.

when you go to buy your new iPhone, you will have to pay the unsibsidized price of 399/499. its simple. they wont turn you down. you can buy as many phones as you want at that price. they do not care. they just want to sell as many phones as possible.

when you sell your iPhone just rememeber to keep your SIM. so when you get your new one a few days later, just pop in your SIM and its all good

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
this is 100% OK to do. i have already sold my phone because they were going for so much on ebay! there is also a nice demand on craigslist and its free to list there

after you sell your iPhone, the new owner just has to pop in their SIM and it will work fine for them.

when you go to buy your new iPhone, you will have to pay the unsibsidized price of 399/499. its simple. they wont turn you down. you can buy as many phones as you want at that price. they do not care. they just want to sell as many phones as possible.

when you sell your iPhone just rememeber to keep your SIM. so when you get your new one a few days later, just pop in your SIM and its all good
Can you confirm all what you said? Had you bought another one from Apple after selling it off at ebay? If YES, then how easy that was to put your existing number on the 2nd iPhone 3g

Otto20p

Jul 17, 2008
Not Sure this is Accurate

I ended up getting two lines of service on Launch Day my girlfriend personally did not care for the phone at all since she emails a lot, the battery drained very quickly anyhow, so I was trying to be clever and also noticed they were selling for high amounts on Ebay I tried to call At&t to cancel the contract but they wouldn't let me at all, she said they were only cancelling contracts at the stores due to too many people doing the same thing and then later selling on Ebay ! I could have kept the phone and cancelled later but at the same time, don't forget that if when you sell it and don't cancel the line, the phone will still remain active under your account, she wouldn't even let me put a differenet phone on that line, So Im guessing they finally caught up to it !:sick:

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
the PHONE doesn't hold your account information, the SIM card does. when you sell your phone you take your SIM out, and the phone just because no different than any other iPhone. so when i sold my phone on ebay, i KEPT my current contract and service, and i put my SIM into an old crappy phone for the time being. i then went to the Apple store, and bought a new iPhone at the more expensive price 16gb 499 (i had to pay this price because i bought the first one at the cheaper price. since i already got the cheap price once, now i have to pay the more expensive unsubsidized price). since i payed the UNsubsidized price they did not make me open it and activate the phone right there. (why would they. they only want you to activate in store if you buy it for the cheaper price. if you pay full price, they don't care what you do with it). then i went home, popped in my SIM card, and the phone was perfect.

Can you confirm all what you said? Had you bought another one from Apple after selling it off at ebay? If YES, then how easy that was to put your existing number on the 2nd iPhone 3g

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
SCRATCH MY PREVIOUS POSTS. please refer to the thread titled "You can keep the 3G iPhone if you immediately cancel your contract with AT&T, right? "

and read my last few posts and it will explain why this idea will not