Question about SHSH blobs and iOS 6.1 OTA update

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by coop1701, Feb 4, 2013.

1. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I did a OTA update the other day to 6.1.

I hear that is a no no. So I can just do a backup, load 6.1 to my phone. Then jailbreak and restore my backup? Or has anyone even attempted to jailbreak the OTA update? I know it caused issues when the previous jailbreak too.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

From what I understand, the SHSH blobs saved from an OTA update are different from the SHSH blobs saved from an iTunes update. That might cause problems if, say, for instance, you ever upgrade to 6.1.1 and want to downgrade to 6.1.

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

But if I restore via iTunes to the current release. I should be ok? Will it be safe to proceed?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You should be.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's fine for now. The problem is that 6.1.1 might not be jailbreakable. If you have a problem after 6.1.1 is released, you might not be able to restore to anything except 6.1.1. We don't know with certainty that it won't work, but the devs said the SHSHs are different on OTA updates, and they recommend a full update. I like to be cautious. Going four months without the jailbreak was long enough for me. ;)

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You've gone without me for more than four months and you don't complain as much as you do about missing the jailbreak.

r-CRYING-MAN-large570.jpg

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

The wait killed me too Europa... I have jailbroken my iPhone and iPad. I'm a happy campier.