Question about SHSH blobs and iOS 6.1 OTA update

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I did a OTA update the other day to 6.1.

I hear that is a no no. So I can just do a backup, load 6.1 to my phone. Then jailbreak and restore my backup? Or has anyone even attempted to jailbreak the OTA update? I know it caused issues when the previous jailbreak too.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
From what I understand, the SHSH blobs saved from an OTA update are different from the SHSH blobs saved from an iTunes update. That might cause problems if, say, for instance, you ever upgrade to 6.1.1 and want to downgrade to 6.1.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
From what I understand, the SHSH blobs saved from an OTA update are different from the SHSH blobs saved from an iTunes update. That might cause problems if, say, for instance, you ever upgrade to 6.1.1 and want to downgrade to 6.1.
But if I restore via iTunes to the current release. I should be ok? Will it be safe to proceed?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But if I restore via iTunes to the current release. I should be ok? Will it be safe to proceed?
It's fine for now. The problem is that 6.1.1 might not be jailbreakable. If you have a problem after 6.1.1 is released, you might not be able to restore to anything except 6.1.1. We don't know with certainty that it won't work, but the devs said the SHSHs are different on OTA updates, and they recommend a full update. I like to be cautious. Going four months without the jailbreak was long enough for me. ;)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's fine for now. The problem is that 6.1.1 might not be jailbreakable. If you have a problem after 6.1.1 is released, you might not be able to restore to anything except 6.1.1. We don't know with certainty that it won't work, but the devs said the SHSHs are different on OTA updates, and they recommend a full update. I like to be cautious. Going four months without the jailbreak was long enough for me. ;)
You've gone without me for more than four months and you don't complain as much as you do about missing the jailbreak.

r-CRYING-MAN-large570.jpg