Question about tethering on iPhone 5

1. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything on it. I recently got the iPhone 5 and new iPad (wi-fi version as 4g wasn't released yet). I am one of the lucky ones who still has unlimited data on my Verizon plan. Since I do, I thought I'd ask about tethering. Now I'm not opposed to paying Verizon for the option to tether, but since I have unlimited I am debating if I should just use a Cydia based tethering app instead, or just get the 4g iPad when released.

My question is this. Is tethering as fast as having 4g built into the device? If so, is Verizon's tether speed faster than say a mywi or pdanet? Again, I'm not trying to beat the system or anything like that, just trying to find what my best option would be since I have the unlimited plan at my disposal. If paying for service is the fastest/best option, then by all means that's what I will do..

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I don't have the latest iProducts. But I do use my iPhone 4 to tether my wifi only iPad 2. The data on the iPad is as fast as it is on the iPhone. Very usable. Hope this helps you.

I'm not a Verizon customer but I think they may throttle your data speed if you consistently go over a certain limit. On AT&T it's 3-gig on 4G and 5 on LTE.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll get the same tethering speeds with MyWi as you would with official Verizon tethering. It just depends on how fast Verizon data is in your area. I'd say stick with your unlimited plan and go with a jailbreak app since it's free (after you pay for MyWi in Cydia), whereas moving to a tiered plan with mobile hotspot will increase your monthly bill. However, we don't have an ETA for the iPhone 5 jailbreak, so you might be waiting a while for MyWi.

5. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the help guys..I'll probably stick to the jailbroke tether option. If for some reason it doesn't work as well as I like I can always swap for the 4g ipad.

6. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I may be mistaken but if you opt for tethering I think you forfeit the unlimited plan. I believe this is the case on ATT but it may hold true for Verizon as well.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That is correct. You have to select a tiered AT&T data plan to add tethering, and in doing so you lose unlimited data forever.

8. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Me and two of my friends noticed the exact opposite on tethering with MyWi. It was super slow! Everything took forever. I thought that was just normal until I got an iPad with 4G. Now it works just like the phone does in regards to speed.

9. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Alright so I spoke to Verizon. I was assured that you do NOT lose unlimited data if you add a tethering option. Granted I'd have to pay $30 for the option to tether, but was told since I already have unlimited data, that I'm able to tether with unlimited as well. So of course it sucks paying for another data plan, but is still well worth it to keep the unlimited option IMO. I'm not buying into their propaganda to move into a tiered plan. I will never give up my unlimited plan until they forcefully pry it from my dead lifeless fingers!

10. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Does MyWi have a way to hide whether you are tethering or not? I have the old version of MyWi, but I have not used it in quite a while. I was thinking about upgrading to the newest version, but I do not want to pay the extra if AT&T is going to be able to tell and take my unlimited away.

Sent using iCafe app

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I would create a separate thread for this request as MyWi is an app that's only available to jailbroken users.