Question about transferring to AT&T in order to get an iPhone 3G

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Ok, I've never had to transfer from one carrier to another just for a phone. We've had AT&T for years now, switched from Sprint (god they suck) to Cingular (now the new AT&T) about 8 years ago, at least, probably more. But I have a question that my uncle asked me and I wasn't 100% sure on how it works.

My Uncle wants an iPhone but is under contract with Verizon until February 2009. If he transferred to AT&T to get an iPhone 3G, would he have to pay the cancellation fee's? Anyone who recently transferred from one carrier to AT&T for their iPhone 3G, what fee's were there in order for you to transfer?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
According to this article, Verizon to ease termination fees, the early termination fee is $175. Also unfortunately, Verizon's plan to prorate the ETF according to how much time is left on the contract will start this fall only for new customers and for customers who sign new contracts.

My friend just did something CRAZY to get around the ETF. He bought an iPhone 3G this past weekend and he will pay the AT&T bill PLUS his current cell phone bill until his current contract is up in September. So, he'll have two cell phones with the iPhone as mainly an internet/PDA device. When his current contract is up, he'll port his number to the iPhone.

Obviously, that's not as cheap as simply paying an ETF. So... there's not a lot of options here...

adambodkins

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Your uncle is in luck I don't have the article on hand but I will try and get it and send it to you but my fiance and I both just came from verizon to AT&T for the iPhone and plus our bill was over 100.00 cheaper with att but about two weeks ago verizon was heavily sued due to there early termination I am not sure on the actuall problem but due to that a lot of people have been walking out the door and not paying anything. Myself included. When I got my iPhone on Iday I was called that afternoon by a verizon agent and asked if I would reconsider and I told him the reasons and he understood. He actually was nice enough to tell me before he asked to speak to my fiance that I would not have to pay the early termination fee I would be billed and prorated for my last months services and that would be that. And That verizon would be happy to send me a check for 100.00 if I agreed to return my phone I had purchased through them. So he should be in luck. I hope this helps.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Your uncle is in luck I don't have the article on hand but I will try and get it and send it to you but my fiance and I both just came from verizon to AT&T for the iPhone and plus our bill was over 100.00 cheaper with att but about two weeks ago verizon was heavily sued due to there early termination I am not sure on the actuall problem but due to that a lot of people have been walking out the door and not paying anything. Myself included. When I got my iPhone on Iday I was called that afternoon by a verizon agent and asked if I would reconsider and I told him the reasons and he understood. He actually was nice enough to tell me before he asked to speak to my fiance that I would not have to pay the early termination fee I would be billed and prorated for my last months services and that would be that. And That verizon would be happy to send me a check for 100.00 if I agreed to return my phone I had purchased through them. So he should be in luck. I hope this helps.
adambodkins. I left Verizon as well. I did not care about the fees. I figured I would just have to pay them. It would end up being the same in the end anyway. Either pay the bill until the end of the contract (about a year and 1/2) and pay an additional AT&T bill or just get the early termination fee and pay that off.

But it seems like you really made out well. I should do some investigating and see if i can skate not paying this fee.

Either way, I win in the end. The iPhone 3g is AWSOME! I love this phone, it is the best phone and service i have had and I am willing to take the lumps from Verizon if i have to. It's worth it.