Question about upgrading my wife to 5S as a Christmas present.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by jaydoc1, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

So my wife has been needing a new iPhone for some time. So I would like to upgrade her iPhone 4 to a 5S for Christmas (keeping same phone number). If I order through the Apple store, it won't shut her current phone off until we activate the new one, will it? We're on Verizon, BTW.

Additionally, for those that have upgraded this way, does it take much to sort this out through Verizon with the new data packages. Unfortunately this will mean the end of our unlimited data plan we've had forever.

Thanks in advance!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will prompt you to select a new data plan when you order it on Apple.com. AT&T allows people to keep unlimited when they order online with a contract and discount, but Verizon does not. There is a way to keep unlimited with Verizon, but it's expensive. You have to purchase it in an Apple Store and pay the full contract-free price, which is $650 for a 16 GB 5s. If you order a Verizon iPhone with or without the discount you will lose unlimited data.

That said, it's worth upgrading and I'm sure she'll love the phone. She'll get much faster data, the phone will be faster and the camera is better.

Her old phone will continue to work until she takes the new phone out of the box and activates it. Once the new one is activated, the old one will lose its signal.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Also, after activatating the 5s, the old 4 will continue to work on wifi for everything but the Verizon services. No calls or texts. Or you can sell the 4 to Verizon or sell it on EBay. We have the Family Share Plan. Unlimited minutes and texts. We started with 8 gb of data, but changed to 4 gb because we're all on wifi and don't use much data. I wish now I had kept my 4 when I upgraded.

Sent using iCafe app

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Make sure you're on her account or else Verizon won't let you do it. I upgraded my wife and son and Verizon reminded me I had to be an authorized person on the account.

Sent using iCafe app

5. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Thanks for the info. I'm the account holder so not a problem. I ordered her up a 64 GB Gold today!

6. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah I've got a pile of really fancy iPhones, er iPod touches now dating back to 2007. LOL

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Awesome! When you start it up for the first time it self-activates and disables the old iPhone automatically. If you leave the old one on and connected to WiFi it can still receive iMessages. Turn off iMessage in Settings on the old phone once the new one is activated.

Sent using iCafe app