Question buying iPhones through classifieds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NHL Fever, Jan 30, 2013.

1. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

I've been looking at picking up an iPhone5 second hand through kijiji.ca. But I was thinking today, how do I know its not stolen? More to the point, if it IS stolen and I think its ok, could Apple or the carrier lock it or disable it on me?

2. Hallea

Hallea New Member

I do not see any problems of buying in iPhone in classifieds. There are a lot of people who offers services even not the carrier to lock it or disable it for you. But I also think that it will be better to buy your phone to legit stores - the warranty makes you feel better.

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I've had no issues with the few iPhones I've purchased on Craigslist. You just need to trust your intuition.
    Ask questions, does the seller know anything about iOS and the device? Why is it being sold?
    Meet in a public place and again, if u get a bad vibe, walk away....

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

As snowtrooper1966 mentioned, meet in a public place. I've heard of people meeting at the carrier's store, say AT&T and have the device confirmed as not being stolen or blacklisted that way.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Yes the carrier could lock the phone. Could take minutes could take years carriers are not very good about protecting us and crooks know this. There are websites that you can run the serial number, I sure someone can post one. I like the idea of going to the carrier storefront. Would take a crook with really big stones to do that. If you truly believe it might be stolen don't buy it report don't support these guys.

Hope you get a winner and let us know.

6. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

In the end I the seller did not show up. I do like the store idea and will use that in the future.