Question buying iPhones through classifieds

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NHL Fever

Bronze
Mar 15, 2010
I've been looking at picking up an iPhone5 second hand through kijiji.ca. But I was thinking today, how do I know its not stolen? More to the point, if it IS stolen and I think its ok, could Apple or the carrier lock it or disable it on me?

Hallea

Jan 30, 2013
CA
I do not see any problems of buying in iPhone in classifieds. There are a lot of people who offers services even not the carrier to lock it or disable it for you. But I also think that it will be better to buy your phone to legit stores - the warranty makes you feel better.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I've had no issues with the few iPhones I've purchased on Craigslist. You just need to trust your intuition.
Ask questions, does the seller know anything about iOS and the device? Why is it being sold?
Meet in a public place and again, if u get a bad vibe, walk away....

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Yes the carrier could lock the phone. Could take minutes could take years carriers are not very good about protecting us and crooks know this. There are websites that you can run the serial number, I sure someone can post one. I like the idea of going to the carrier storefront. Would take a crook with really big stones to do that. If you truly believe it might be stolen don't buy it report don't support these guys.

Hope you get a winner and let us know.