question cingular vs AT&T coverage?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
I think im a bit confused...need some answers.

I was always under the impression that cingular reception was great, and ATT was not so great.

If att bought cingular, don't the phones still operate on cingulars network?

ugh.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
AT&T has owned Cingular for years, they just decided to change the name back to AT&T recently.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
then...just how bad is the network going to be? I thought cingular had the least number of dropped calls? i hate to switch to att/cingular and lose my verizon reliabiltiy.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
then...just how bad is the network going to be? I thought cingular had the least number of dropped calls? i hate to switch to att/cingular and lose my verizon reliabiltiy.

You know why it has the fewest dropped calls? because you never have service to make a call in the first place. Im on att and it seems whenever I drive down a hill I lose service.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Cingular bought AT&T wireless and merged it in to Cingular. Then buried the AT&T name. Remember all the AT&T wireless stores turned to Cingular stores?

Then SBC/Yahoo! bought Cingular and all the baby bells (PacBell, BellSouth, AtlanticBell, etc) and decided to use the AT&T name that came along with the Cingular purchase, since it has more world wide branding and name recognition.

So the new AT&T (lower case) really has nothing to do with the old AT&T (uppercase) except the name.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Cingular bought AT&T wireless and merged it in to Cingular. Then buried the AT&T name. Remember all the AT&T wireless stores turned to Cingular stores?

Then SBC/Yahoo! bought Cingular and all the baby bells (PacBell, BellSouth, AtlanticBell, etc) and decided to use the AT&T name that came along with the Cingular purchase, since it has more world wide branding and name recognition.

So the new AT&T (lower case) really has nothing to do with the old AT&T (uppercase) except the name.
I couldn't have explained it any better. Thanks for that Greg.:)

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
then why is everyone so gung ho to switch to a network that is so miserable? granted, the iPhone looks great---but whats the use if the network stinks? (not to mention edge)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
then why is everyone so gung ho to switch to a network that is so miserable? granted, the iPhone looks great---but whats the use if the network stinks? (not to mention edge)
The network works great for me. I don't know what you mean by it being so miserable. I've had it for five years and never had a problem with service. Cingular came from the old Bellsouth Mobility service around Atlanta. That grew into a nationwide service that is now changing it's name to utilize the At&t recognition power. I think it's the best network available.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
many reviews i have read state its not the iPhone that would prevent them from buying the iPhone, its the unreliable att network.

Up in the reviews thread, there is mention of att being near last in 19 out of 20 us cities for network reliability.

what your thoughts everyone?