Question for 2.0 software testers--Multiple calendar support?

dreamwave6

Jul 3, 2007
I have question for anyone who has already used the iPhone 2.0 software. In his review of the iPhone 3G (using the 2.0 software), Walt Mossberg states:

"One drawback: While you can have both personal and Exchange email accounts on the new iPhone, if you synchronize with Exchange calendars and contacts, your personal calendar and contacts are erased."

Is this really true? Can you not have both personal (i.e. iCal) and businesss (i.e. Exchange) contacts & calendars on the same iPhone simultaneously? This would seem like a major limitation to me.

What makes me wonder about the validity of Mossberg's claim is a phone shown a couple of times on Apple's iPhone enterprise page:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/

There is a photo showing the Calendars screen of the iPhone. At the top is what appears to be a typical iPhone back button which reads "Calendars". This suggests, just like in the Email app, that you can back up to a main Calendars page to choose which calendar (i.e. personal vs. businesss) that you want to look at. Is this true?

Thanks much,

Andrew

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think you can have different calendars because, you're right. It does say "Calendars" in the form of a back button, and also, on the top, for the title it says "All Calendars" which probably means you can have a personal and businesss or however many you want.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that "calendars" button probably refers to this:

You can pick and choose between multiple calendars within the same calendar app. That doesn't really prove that it won't be possible to sync iCal along with Exchange, but it lends credibility to his review.

dreamwave6

Jul 3, 2007
Good point Hippo. Can we get confirmation from someone on here who has testing the 2.0 software with Exchange?

Thanks,

Andrew

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Now I'm torn...do I sync with work/Exchange or keep my own with MobileMe since I already have a .Mac account?
Sad....

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Now I'm torn...do I sync with work/Exchange or keep my own with MobileMe since I already have a .Mac account?
Sad....
Which one is more important/necessary to you?
Work or personal?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just import you personal calendar into your Exchange calendar. Not the best solution for sure, but better than not having everything on your phone.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
that "calendars" button probably refers to this:

You can pick and choose between multiple calendars within the same calendar app. That doesn't really prove that it won't be possible to sync iCal along with Exchange, but it lends credibility to his review.
this looks like a quality calendar app i might actually use it

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I've never used Exchange really...How do you do that?
Do you have outlook at work? your outlook is on the exchange server. You can have your own personal contacts, and when you try to send a new email, and press the the "to" button, it takes you to a list of every person that has an email address in the company. So, what the last post said by importing your info in to the exchange. That just means put your contacts and calendar events into outlook. I doubt you have administrator rights, so you will have to add them manually.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
On the Apple released 2.0 firmware (Build 347) released today, I am able to see my work (Exchange) and personal (MobileMe synced with iCal) calendars and switch between them via the button acosmichippo showed above without any problems.

I haven't turned on Contacts sync for Exchange yet, as I really don't use it for that purpose much at all - so not sure of the answer on that piece of it ...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've got calendars for myself and both my kids in Outlook on my computer. In Calendars I can see one of them or all three of them blended. Each separate calendar is color coordinated as well. It works great. Haven't synced yet with Exchange server, but will as soon as I get the right server name info.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
On the Apple released 2.0 firmware (Build 347) released today, I am able to see my work (Exchange) and personal (MobileMe synced with iCal) calendars and switch between them via the button acosmichippo showed above without any problems.

I haven't turned on Contacts sync for Exchange yet, as I really don't use it for that purpose much at all - so not sure of the answer on that piece of it ...
Can you turn on the contacts feature and let us know? Please? I'm still "Updating iPHone Software..."...which is torturously slow :mad: