Question for Facebook people

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
A friend of mine is taking a job on a remote south pacific island and said the only way to keep up with him is through Facebook so I signed up for an account. I've avoided doing this because I don't need to get involved with another social networking site that'll eat up more of my free time.

I got totally freaked out during the signup phase because it gave me a list of people I may want to be friends with and I knew almost all of them! WTH? They weren't from my high school or college or current job; they were from the aquarium where I'm a volunteer and I hadn't told FB that I was associated with it so how did it know that I knew them? I didn't upload a contacts list or give FB any details about what I do or hobbies or anything like that so it was really strange that it knew I had some connection with these people.

FB seems like a pretty interesting service so any tips that any of you FB experts have will be appreciated. And if you want to connect, just send me one of those friend request thingys and I'll reply.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
It's probably your friends contacts who you originally signed up for that you are seeing who are your contacts as well... it's kinda like 6 degrees of separation, you share his contacts and he shares yours. ...
lol, If that makes any sense.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It's probably your friends contacts who you originally signed up for that you are seeing who are your contacts as well... it's kinda like 6 degrees of separation, you share his contacts and he shares yours. ...
lol, If that makes any sense.
Of course, that makes perfect sense. Those people would have my email in their list of contacts because all the aquarium divers have a common email list and if they had previously ploaded their list, as soon as FB saw my email, it connected us. Thanks for clearing that up.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Facebook is very addicting. I have a Myspace profile too but I prefer FB over Myspace. I've never got into the Twitter thing.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Facebook is very addicting. I have a Myspace profile too but I prefer FB over Myspace. I've never got into the Twitter thing.
So I'm finding. There's so much you can do on FB. I've already found a few people I went to school with (not too interested in contacting them, but it's nice to see time hasn't been their friend) :)

JimMayor007

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I got totally freaked out during the signup phase because it gave me a list of people I may want to be friends with and I knew almost all of them! WTH? They weren't from my high school or college or current job; they were from the aquarium where I'm a volunteer and I hadn't told FB that I was associated with it so how did it know that I knew them? I didn't upload a contacts list or give FB any details about what I do or hobbies or anything like that so it was really strange that it knew I had some connection with these people.
Big brother is always watching, they do the same thing at the supermarket, especialy if you pay by credit card, they track everything you buy ...scary

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
FB > Myspace
period.

But yeah it recommends friends all the time. I think it checks your email contacts when you first sign up though. Like your first few days will just be adding friends constantly lol.