Question for Former advanced Windows Mobile users only.......

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
How are you adjusting to the switch? Do you miss the customization? Would you recommend the switch? Any warnings? Obviously with exchange coming in a few months that will really bring it to a comparable device.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I was a Windows Mobile power user for a lot of years before switching to the iPhone. My last few WinMo devices included a Treo, Dell Axim X51V, and a a Cingular 8525 (still have the latter two).

I could not be any happier with the switch. The iPhone's brilliant interface, its awesome browser, and lovely screen make it a joy to use, every day. It is also the first time I feel like a device really lives up to being a 'mobile computing' device rather than just a smartphone.

Sure there are some things I miss, but none that I don't already know are coming to the iPhone fairly soon - like Exchange support and more apps (although there is already an impressive array of 3rd party apps available if you jailbreak). And I'd love some 3G speed on the iPhone, but that will come soon enough as well.

I don't really have any warnings for you. You will need to be willing to adapt some of your habits at first (until more native apps hit this summer) if you have been a big-time Pocket Informant user (for example), you might need to switch to using an online tasks manager app, or a far more basic native one if you jailbreak. There will be other categories of application where the same scenario will apply ...

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I was a Windows Mobile power user for a lot of years before switching to the iPhone. My last few WinMo devices included a Treo, Dell Axim X51V, and a a Cingular 8525 (still have the latter two).

I could not be any happier with the switch. The iPhone's brilliant interface, its awesome browser, and lovely screen make it a joy to use, every day. It is also the first time I feel like a device really lives up to being a 'mobile computing' device rather than just a smartphone.

Sure there are some things I miss, but none that I don't already know are coming to the iPhone fairly soon - like Exchange support and more apps (although there is already an impressive array of 3rd party apps available if you jailbreak). And I'd love some 3G speed on the iPhone, but that will come soon enough as well.

I don't really have any warnings for you. You will need to be willing to adapt some of your habits at first (until more native apps hit this summer) if you have been a big-time Pocket Informant user (for example), you might need to switch to using an online tasks manager app, or a far more basic native one if you jailbreak. There will be other categories of application where the same scenario will apply ...
Here are the missing functions I am really having a tough time convincing myself I can accept:

1) A2DP
2) voice Dialing
3) 3G

Man am I having a tough time convincing myself I wont miss these features too much.
Also, more of a general question, I played with a friends iPhone the other day and the volume was still very low. Has that been addressed in anyway? The pin hole fix might be it, but I thought that was for the speakerphone, no?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Mac --> PC = Happy Mac User
Windows Mobile --> iPhone = Happy iPhone User

- John

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
3g is really the only thing I miss. But trust me, the pros out way the cons. Everyone would probably enjoy 3g but no since complaining when Apple is already working on it right.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
When I had my Ipaq, i could (pay) download HUNDREDS of applications for Windows Mobile...That is what I miss. Even though the iPhone is tremendously superior to the Ipaq, however, I'm not sure if that was the best platform for WinMobile...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I miss MMS, push email via exchange, MS voice command, bluetooth GPS support, one button speed dial/shortcuts, BT activesync, and the auto-complete-while-dialing feature.

Everything else is WAY better... especially if you jailbreak your iPhone. I could never go back now. The mobile web experience is so much better there's really no comparison. I actually USE my data plan now, way more than I ever did before (and I'm a pretty techy guy)

I have a strong suspicion most of my misgivings towards the iPhone will be settled once and for all this June with the release of the Appstore. But I would still go for it now if I were you.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I really miss the Emulation/Homebrew scene, it was obviously farther along. I also had ways to pretty much accomplish anything I needed back on my desktop while being mobile. I can't honestly say that the iPhone has afforded me that level of mobility yet, but again, its making great strides at getting there.

Its fairly obvious that the iPhone has become the new standard which all mobiles will forever be benchmarked against. My question was, why settle for anything less?

I've enjoyed the switch, and the community it has spawned.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I miss MMS, push email via exchange, MS voice command, bluetooth GPS support, one button speed dial/shortcuts, BT activesync, and the auto-complete-while-dialing feature.

Everything else is WAY better... especially if you jailbreak your iPhone. I could never go back now. The mobile web experience is so much better there's really no comparison. I actually USE my data plan now, way more than I ever did before (and I'm a pretty techy guy)

I have a strong suspicion most of my misgivings towards the iPhone will be settled once and for all this June with the release of the Appstore. But I would still go for it now if I were you.
I cant do it before June and the exchange support.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mac --> PC = Happy Mac User
Windows Mobile --> iPhone = Happy iPhone User

- John
John,
I don't think it could have been explained any better than your post. I use both a Mac & a PC. I use both the iPhone & Mogul (Windows Mobile). I would not trade either, to solely use the other. Both devices have their weakness's and strengths. I love both for what they do greatly. I hate both for what they lack. In concert with each other, they are a winning pair... Mark

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

I will really miss the gps capability of my HTC Touch when paired with a BT GPS receiver. Here's to Tomtom working on an app and Apple upgrading its bt stack.