Question for NAVIGON users re: browsing map

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Question for Navigon users (preferably the latest version - 1.2):

When you choose "Show Map" from the main menu and tap on the map view that takes you to a version that you can pinch and zoom around in, do you see street names in this view?

Just wondering if this is normal or if it's a bug I'm experiencing. If it's normal, they're going to get a piece of my mind on this one. What good is browsing a map if you can't see the street names?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Going to bump this because I am interested in getting the Navigon app. It seems to be the best one out there but this is a valid question that I too would like to see an answer.

mokeiko

Jul 4, 2007
Question for Navigon users (preferably the latest version - 1.2):

When you choose "Show Map" from the main menu and tap on the map view that takes you to a version that you can pinch and zoom around in, do you see street names in this view?

Just wondering if this is normal or if it's a bug I'm experiencing. If it's normal, they're going to get a piece of my mind on this one. What good is browsing a map if you can't see the street names?

"show street names" has to be enabled in the "options", then "more" area of the app settings.

mokeiko

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks mokeiko,
I have TomTom, but I think I'm going to buy Navigon today. How well does it work with playing music through the speakers via a USB, is the music choppy? I have a 3GS, but TomTom doesn't work well at all while playing music. Does it fade the music when giving directions, or do you have to use a headset to hear the directions?

mokeiko

Jul 4, 2007
Thanks mokeiko,
I have TomTom, but I think I'm going to buy Navigon today. How well does it work with playing music through the speakers via a USB, is the music choppy? I have a 3GS, but TomTom doesn't work well at all while playing music. Does it fade the music when giving directions, or do you have to use a headset to hear the directions?
Europa,

I just purchased the app today and I haven't gotten a chance to use those features yet. I'm familiarizing myself with all the settings. Sorry I can't help you but I'm sure someone else will be able to answer your questions.

mokeiko

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, thanks for replying anyway.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
"show street names" has to be enabled in the "options", then "more" area of the app settings.

mokeiko
Yes, I already have that enabled.

Thanks mokeiko,
Music plays well on a 3GS during navigation - I noticed no choppiness. It plays navigation guidance over the music, fading the volume level of the music a bit. This is fine with music, but can be annoying with a podcast or audio book since you'll miss what's being said while navigation guidance is being given. I kind of wish they had a toggle to choose to lower music volume or stop music playback during voice guidance.

Going to bump this because I am interested in getting the Navigon app. It seems to be the best one out there but this is a valid question that I too would like to see an answer.
Up10ad responded via Twitter and stated that he does indeed see street names when browsing the map! So, there must be something wrong with the reviewer version I have loaded (1.2.0 but distributed via FTP for reviewers). I am glad to know that what I'm seeing is just a glitch since this would be a deal-breaker for me.

(I'm almost done with my review! Hope to have it up on Monday evening... :) )

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So, the turn by turn directions will come through my car speakers then (I'm connecting the phone through USB, not bluetooth)? If so, that's awesome, and I'll buy it right now! TomTom does not do that.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks macgirl.

I'm downloading Navigon right now. I'm hoping it will fade the music and give the turn by turn through the speakers.

TomTom only gives the directions through the iPhone speaker or headphones, music is choppy while it's running, and it won't even give spoken directions through the iPhone speaker if the USB plugged in. The only way to have the USB plugged in and hear the directions, is to use a wired headset (it also won't transfer to a BT speaker).

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Oh, I was talking about music playing through the iPhone's speaker (sorry - did not read your post carefuly), but it has also worked through my car's iPod kit, putting voice guidance out through my car's speakers when connected via the dock connector. I hope it's working for you the way you want!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble downloading it. On my third attempt right now.
See link below. Same problem I had when trying to download TomTom. Every thing works fine in iTunes except downloading these huge GPS apps. I get infinite download loops.

So, I'm confused, do you think the turn by turn will come through my car speakers then? If not, I'll probably just ditch this download, only because it's such a PITA (see other thread) and there won't be much point if it doesn't come through my speakers as I can just keep using TomTom.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/problems-downloading-tomtom.45785/

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble downloading it. On my third attempt right now.
See link below. Same problem I had when trying to download TomTom. Every thing works fine in iTunes except downloading these huge GPS apps. I get infinite download loops.

So, I'm confused, do you think the turn by turn will come through my car speakers then? If not, I'll probably just ditch this download, only because it's such a PITA (see other thread) and there won't be much point if it doesn't come through my speakers as I can just keep using TomTom.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/problems-downloading-tomtom.45785/
What's the set-up in your car? I would say it would work for you but TomTom worked for me in my car as well (playing audio through car's speakers when connected via dock connector) in the same way as Navigon. I worry that they'll all not work for you given this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok thanks. I'm ditching the download now then...

I tried but never could get TomTom to give directions through my speakers. It's a Sony headunit with a USB input on the front panel. I also have a BlueAnt Supertooth speaker phone for phone calls but didn't see any way to route it through that either.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Ok thanks. I'm ditching the download now then...

I tried but never could get TomTom to give directions through my speakers. It's a Sony headunit with a USB input on the front panel. I also have a BlueAnt Supertooth speaker phone for phone calls but didn't see any way to route it through that either.
Out of curiosity, when connect your iPhone to your head unit, does the head unit take over all iPod control functions? When I connect mine, I can't even do anything in the iPod app on my iPhone - it gives me an "accessory connected" screen and all the buttons and songs are hidden. I can only control music playback through my car's stereo and all audio is routed through it whenever it's connected. Just wondering if that makes a difference.

Also, I must be playing music from my iPhone to hear navigation guidance also. If I choose to listen to a CD or FM/AM radio, the stereo ignores other audio sources and I get nothing from the iPhone (music or navigation guidance). Is that how it works for you too?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I get that accessory connected screen occasionally as well, but when it does show up I just push the home button and that makes it go away and the album art shows (3.0 update did that, it used to show the battery symbol since it was charging) if it's locked and the icons show if it's unlocked. You can use the iPhone for controlling the music once you get the accessory connected screen to go away. I always just use the head unit to control the music. I've encountered some weird flukes though, like loud music from my iPhone being routed to my BT speaker phone, instead of my speakers as it normally does, if I start the engine while on a phone call via BT.

If it's connected to the head unit through the USB, irregardless if music is playing or not (but I can't really play music on the iPhone while TomTom is running because it's choppy), the only way I can get directions is with the use of head phones. If it's not connected through the USB, the directions come through the iPhone speaker.

I wish I could either route the directions to my BT or have them come through the speakers. The way it is now, I can't get directions while it's charging unless I'm using headphones, which sucks.