Question for people who have 2 iPhones in household:

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Does anyone know if you have 2 iPhones that share the same computer to sync with Outlook Calendar/contacts, etc.... does each iPhone have a separate calendar to sync, or do BOTH phones have to use the SAME Outlook Calendar/contacts/etc?

I hope my question makes sense, and not too confusion... THANKS!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
We are a 2 iPhone family but only one of us sync's to Outlook so I'm afraid I'm of no help.

Perhaps somebody more tech savvy then me will stop by to help but personally, I can't see how that would work, sorry.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Thanks for at least responding...i knew there were more people with multiple iPhones in the home...

aliphoner

Jul 22, 2007
My daughter and I each have an iPhone and we use one computer running Vista. You have to make 2 separate user accounts on the computer, one for you and one for the person with the other phone. Then when each account syncs with their iPhone it will sync his/her own contacts, playlist, video's, etc.
Hope this helps.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
My daughter and I each have an iPhone and we use one computer running Vista. You have to make 2 separate user accounts on the computer, one for you and one for the person with the other phone. Then when each account syncs with their iPhone it will sync his/her own contacts, playlist, video's, etc.
Hope this helps.
Thanks! Helps a lot!

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
I'm running Vista and I don't typically use profiles since it takes longer to long in and me and my wife don't need separate settings. In Outlook, I created a profile for me and i'm hoping to make one for my wife hoping that when she syncs her iPhone, it will ask which profile to use but i'm not so sure about that.

Sep 12, 2007
just make 2 vista user accounts, you don't need passwords apon login or anything. This will make everything a lot easier. Plus you can make you the admin and restrict her use of installation and what not.... or make her an admin aswell. This will make it so your login syncs your iPhone to your iTunes playlist, contacts, email, calander, and her login to sync to her stuff. Doing this will save you a shitload of headaches in the end, also the embarrasment of your friends seeing britney spears or boys to men on your playlist. heh

IF

Sep 21, 2007
Does anyone know if you have 2 iPhones that share the same computer to sync with Outlook Calendar/contacts, etc.... does each iPhone have a separate calendar to sync, or do BOTH phones have to use the SAME Outlook Calendar/contacts/etc?

I hope my question makes sense, and not too confusion... THANKS!
Add an account in Outlook and have it prompt you to choose a user when you log on, that way you would each have your own account.

Also one of you could use Outlook Express as his/her e-mail client. It is also supported by iPhone and I'm pretty sure it is standard with all Windows based OS's. Just export selected contacts out of Outlook and import into Outlook Express. Relatively same functionality as Outlook. Then when the person using Express syncs just make sure to choose Windows Address Book in the drop down box under the Contacts tab in iTunes.

Finally as far as contacts go you could turn off auto-syncing in iTunes. Then in Outlook separate your contacts into 2 folders one for you and one for the other user. Then under the Contacts tab in iTunes select sync only checked folders. Check the folder with just your contacts and sync.

Hope this was helpful. :)

reidsch

Jul 2, 2007
my wife and i each have an iPhone, and we use the same computer. The computer is running xp and office 2007. We each have a user account on the computer. the only drawback to doing this is, you need to close iTunes before the other user opens iTunes. but, our separate music and outlook work flawlessly.

jensph

Sep 22, 2007
My wife and I also both have iPhones.

On a WinXP machine we log into the same account to sync media (music, etc.). We share the same iTunes library, but we have our own playlists set up. When docking a phone, iTunes detects which iPhone it is an remembers which playlist it corresponds to. This works well.

However I tried the same thing with contacts (sync-ed with our respective Yahoo accounts) and that didn't work. So only I use this account to sync my PIM data, and she uses another machine for hers (though logging into another user account would presumably work too).

lizzie

Jan 15, 2009
we have 2 iPhones but cant work out how to separate contacts in outlook so all my contacts went on to husbands iPhone

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Use COntact Groups in Outlook. You'll only need one account and can choose which contact group to sync for which iPhone, in iTunes.

That's what we do (as I get the syncing job), and it works superbly.