Question for those who already have a 3G

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
When you log into the AT&T website to look at your account, do you have the option to cancel/remove the data plan? Or is it stuck there no matter what like with the V1 plan?

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
You can not remove that data plan as long as the iPhone 3G is on your account... it is a MUST

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
He speaks the truth. Unless you're willing to pay the ETF then you have to keep it.
so what happens if your phone gets stolen and you hve to buy a cheap replacement. Does AT&T make you pay for data for a phone that doesn't use it?

Or do they just somehow detect that you have a different phone and take the data off?

And I've been told that with the 3G (unlike the V1) you can take out the sim card and put in a random different AT&T sim card.

If thats the case then what happens when you put in a sim card that doesn't have a data plan on it?

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
so what happens if your phone gets stolen and you hve to buy a cheap replacement. Does AT&T make you pay for data for a phone that doesn't use it?

Or do they just somehow detect that you have a different phone and take the data off?

And I've been told that with the 3G (unlike the V1) you can take out the sim card and put in a random different AT&T sim card.

If thats the case then what happens when you put in a sim card that doesn't have a data plan on it?
if it's an AT&T phone then they will detect it, but if it's an unlocked non AT&T phone then they won't detect it. I have used my iPhone SIM in my PPC phone & have used the data with no problem as well as voice calls.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
What I mainly need to know is if I can use the phone without the data plan, whether that means unlocking it or whatever or if it is even possible to turn it off after the signing the 2 year contract. Which leads to the question then, does rhe contract lock you into voice only for 2 years, or voice and data.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The iPhone plans are now a required combination of voice and data. The other 3G phones in ATT's inventory don't require data activation.

Yes. You are pretty much locked in because you paid the subsidized price. If you break the terms of service of this contract, may be required to pay the full price, $399 and $499 of the iPhone. Cancelling the iPhone plan before two years would be breaking this terms of service from what their rep on the phone told me.

So, best thing to do is give them a call and see if they tell you otherwise, and if they do tell you something different, make sure you instruct them to notate your account with what they're telling you. That way you have a record of actual conversations with them.

You can use a cheapie phone, but you need to keep the iPhone plan in order not to get charged.