Question for those who have stock iPhones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
I see the bickering back of forth to mod or not to mod.

I just have a couple of question for those that keep there iPhone stock?

How do you feel about the update and how do you feel about Apple eliminating 3rd party apps.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I think the update is decent... it's only a .1 update, so I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering. There's nothing I really wanted particularly in this update, but the double-click is handy. I'm still crossing my fingers for reminder beeps, copy/paste, and non-iTMS ringtones though.

I think it bites that Apple isn't supporting 3rd party apps, but we all knew that when we bought it, so the people who are whining about Apple breaking them seem sort of silly to me.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm an un-modder because I haven't seen any 3rd party apps yet that are worth the hassles involved with the update process. I am really enjoying having a very stable device. I keep hoping for cut/paste and real file management, but as stated by someone else, I knew those weren't available, and even without them, this is still the best converged device (out of many) I have ever owned. Besides, this recent update has proven (painfully to some) that some of the updates are going to be very unfriendly with non Apple native apps. This latest update definitely makes me even less likely to mod in the future.

SteviaB

Sep 29, 2007
No problems here, never had any problems with my iPod, the iPhone updates just might as well be. I'm not a big fan of hacking away with third party apps. anyhow.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
How do you feel about the update and how do you feel about Apple eliminating 3rd party apps.
The update is cool... I probably won't actually buy any songs using the WiFi store, but I already used it today while on the road... I was researching a soundtrack I want to buy and it was cool to find it and preview all the songs while sitting in my car waiting for my daughter to get out of drama class.

I like all the little fixes and enhancements, but there's nothing really earth-moving... but I also didn't expect it. I've said all along that I don't think we'll see anything REAL significant until Leopard is released next month.

As for 3rd party apps... I'm not at all surprised that the "hole" was closed on that. Considering Apple was loud and clear that they weren't putting out an approved development kit nor supporting 3rd party apps at this time, I kinda thought of it as a stupid risk to take to start messing around modding/hacking/unlocking the phone. I paid a lot of money to have an iPhone AS-IS in my pocket (since it would be dumb to EXPECT anything but AS-IS), so it would be real dumb of me to risk mucking it up with unsupported apps... Not to mention, unsupport apps created by hackers and programming gurus I don't at all have any reason to trust have the correct specs to be mucking around themselves with the Phone's OS.

I'll stick to what Apple provides for now and wait on their official development kit before I trust downloading software for my iPhone on the net.

From a usability stand-point, I'm very happy with my "virgin" iPhone. It provides me with a lot of great mobile options I didn't have before, or I had and they were just horrible to use (MediaNet on the RazR was awful). Calendar, Email, Phone, iPod, Web, SMS and AIM, I use them daily. I'm excited for Notes and Tasks to start syncing with Leopard's new Mail app (speculation on my part, but it seems pretty obvious to me this will happen). I use it for work and for fun, and it's does the job well.

Sep 7, 2007
So. Cal.
I haven't found one feature that I am using from the update and was a waste of time. The WiFi store is useless to me and the other features/enhancements have not netted any benefit to me.

As for the third party apps, it's too bad that they are not being supported. I can't recall a single successful platform with any longevity that has not allowed third party development, although I'm sure someone can correct me on this if I am wrong. It seems likely it will be supported at some point, but at what cost? I'm guessing, but I imagine Apple will charge a licensing fee to publish and or distribute them, similar to the set top model. In other words, "if you want to be on our device, it's going to cost you".

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Great update. I've already purchased some songs through the Wifi iTunes store. I couldn't believe how quickly they downloaded. The ear piece and speaker phone volume is probable my favorite improvement of the update. I didn't even realize how much better it could be with a little more volume.

I've hacked Motorola phones in the past. I don't mind the small hacks that give you features left out of the original firmware, but I hate hacks that leave buggy side effects. If hacking my iPhone means I have to constantly work around updates, then I don't want to do it. The phone is too cool now, for me to mess it up with some half-baked mods.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Great update. I lost my ringtones, but I made plenty of new ones.
I love the wifi store. I've spent a small fortune there already.
I'm done hacking. I'm looking forward to the next update, most likely at the time of Leopard's release. Does anybody know the exact date of that release, or hasn't it been announced yet?

aziphone

Jul 5, 2007
The only non-Apple thing I had on my iPhone was RingToneMaker, but of course that is gone now. I have downloaded several iTune ringtones to make up for it, but I have noticed the music ringtones sound more distorted that the ones I created through RingToneMaker.

Other than the above, the past updates have been good for my personal needs. I plan on keeping my iPhone as is now for now.

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
Thanks for all that have replied so far. I personally have modded my phone to my likeing. Basically the same basic stuff but with my UGA (Go Dogs) wallpaper and sounds.

I just got tired of all the bickering and wanted to know how "The Otherside Felt" in a friendly topic ;-)

If I could keep my ring tones, "icon images", sounds, and wallpaper I would update now. I just wish they would allow theming and that would be it for me.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
I modded and reverted back to stock after about a day and a half of messing about with NES, carrier logo changes, ringtones, and Installer programs. Honestly, I didn't feel safe having the freedom to blindly install apps that were not verified as virus free. I was seeing program names on Installer that sounded intriguing, but worried that they could expose my phone and personal data to the program creators. Paranoid a bit? maybe. Regardless, it seemed that the whole OS slowed down once the phone was modded. I know so many others have been enjoying 3PAs so I can't say i'm happy that Apple locked down their system. It doesn't affect me so i'm taking a "live and let live" attitude. If they want their 3PAs, give em their 3PAs. Meantime, i'll hold out for the NEXT update...here we go again...

smiles985

Jul 24, 2007
California
I thought for just a second about modding my phone when I saw some of the pictures people had posted. There were some that were pretty awesome. Then I read up on it and decided it just was not worth all the trouble, so I kept it stock, and just had ringtonemaker. I haven't gotten any ringtones from iTunes because I'm convinced it will work again...if its not already, I haven't checked in a few days.
I don't mind the third party aps being gone because I didn't have any, but I c
can understand why people are upset.

kemistri

Oct 26, 2007
i have a few issues i would like a lot of the 3rd party apps i would like to c Apple taking countrol of the issue by providing us with things like gps and much more when i bought the i phone i thought it was an all in one phone to find i don't even have a video camera pissed me off

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The update was fine. I'm looking forward to more in the future.

Regarding 3rd party applications, they will come with the new software developer kit which is scheduled to be released in February. When developers use the SDK, we can be assured that they won't negatively impact our iPhones.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating here: According to a poll I posted here, most of the people who are upset about the update are Windows users (60% compared to less than 20% of Mac users). My theory is that they are used to modifying their computers (adding drivers, software, etc.) to get them to work the way they want, so they approach the iPhone the same way. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
i have a few issues i would like a lot of the 3rd party apps i would like to c Apple taking countrol of the issue by providing us with things like gps and much more when i bought the i phone i thought it was an all in one phone to find i don't even have a video camera pissed me off

wow too much beers huh cool thing about the iPhone is it has punctuation marks you should look for them there are also caps keys so you can make the first letter of each of you sentences big so people can actually read what you type must have been a real pain to get your iPhone home and realize it was actually lacking all the highly publicized features it really was indeed lacking as a wise man once said its better to be pissed off than pissed on

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Still stock, and I plan to stay that way at least through my warranty period. I'm interested in seeing what 3rd party developers come up with next year (STABLE apps with consistent interface and configurability are tops on my list), so I can wait until then. These "renegade" apps that are out there now look like fun for a bit, but I don't see myself using them as serious day-to-day tools.

Besides, my wish list includes mostly improvements to Apple's already-included apps, which otherwise I think are fine for my needs. Unlocking won't give me multiple SMS recipients, for example :)

The new custom ringtones in 1.1.2 really do help with "keeping me legal" for now, though... very happy to have those!