Question for those who like to take pics...

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
I notice when I take pictures inside my house, even in brightly lit rooms, the file size is roughly 110k-120k and the quality looks like something taken from a camera from the 1970's.

But when I take pictures where there is natural sunlight, the file sizes upward of 170k and the quality is superb, very crisp and vibrant.

Is there any way to make the quality more consistent, or is this just the way camera phones are?

iTrey.Bates

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Texas
i have this problem too...maybe they will make an app to help us because i doubt Apple will help with an update...but its not too bad

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The camera function definitely works better in good lighting conditions. Inside pics can be iffy.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
It probably is the camera setting the ISO high while in lower light while indoors. The less light there is for the camera, the more sensitive the camera's sensor has to make itself to see the object/scene you are trying to take a picture of.

And the more sensitive you make the sensor, the more grainy and "70's style" the picture will expose.

Whatever you are trying to take a pic of, just try and illuminate it more.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I use AirMe to take pictures and there's a setting that keeps my file size down. I take pictures that are 640 x 480. File sizes are 100k or less. That's a great size since AirMe uploads straight to my Flickr account.

Now, remember there's no flash. So, make sure there is ample lighting. Daytime pictures are the absolute best.

There's no autofocus. So, I estimated that the point at which objects are in focus is about 6 feet from the camera. If you get too close it might be blurry since it's hard to keep your hands absolutely still. Too far and you might get a similar result. I notice the iPhone isn't great for faraway landscape photos, although I've seen some good ones posted here.

I've posted photos I took with AirMe and the iPhone 3G on Flickr for anyone to see. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarofclay73/sets/72157606135313843/
Click on map to see the GPS position of each photo. AirMe also tags each photo with the current weather conditions.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
this is where the Lg Dare dominates the iPhone
Not outside. I've taken some shots in good light that are breathtaking. I've never seen a phone take photos in such good quality.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
all cameras work best with plenty of light. Daylight is much more powerful than typical room light. Your best results will come with having as much a well lit room as possible and expose windows to let in day light if possible. (Not directly behind what you are shooting, though). Take care to be as still as possible when taking photos. Try to pause a bit and let the camera adjust to what you are photoing. Then stay still and snap several shots.

The file size difference is probably due to the difference in the number of colors sensed in the outside, well lit area. The same amount of compression while maintaining quality is not possible.