Question for traveling abroad

May 6, 2007
United States
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I'm going abroad soon and I have called AT&T a few times, only to receive a whole lot of frustration.

I am fairly positive about the answer to this, but I was just going to check: If I'm using WiFi abroad, will I be charged for data? I assume I won't be, but I won't be buying an international plan and I don't want outrageous bills.

I know threads have been posted on this before, but they were from a while back so I figured it would be a trouble to bring them back up.

Thanks!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
If you're using Wi-Fi only, you will not be charged for data. To make sure your iPhone won't sneak by Wi-Fi and use the network instead, you should turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi separately. AT&T, nor any carrier to my knowledge, has the ability to track your data usage when you're on Wi-Fi only and not on a cellular network. In Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on, your cellular radio is completely off and AT&T will not know what data you're using, much less charge you for it.

You should also check out AT&T's global roaming page specifically for the iPhone here, if you haven't already.

May 6, 2007
United States
If you're using Wi-Fi only, you will not be charged for data. To make sure your iPhone won't sneak by Wi-Fi and use the network instead, you should turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi separately. AT&T, nor any carrier to my knowledge, has the ability to track your data usage when you're on Wi-Fi only and not on a cellular network. In Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on, your cellular radio is completely off and AT&T will not know what data you're using, much less charge you for it.

You should also check out AT&T's global roaming page specifically for the iPhone here, if you haven't already.
Thanks for the quick and complete reply! I'll check it out and do what you suggested. Have a good one.