Question: My iPhone doesn't charge via wall charger.

Jul 21, 2009
Virginia
Hello,

I have been having a problem in the past couple of days.

Whenever my battery is low (20% or less), I decide to charge it via wall charger.

At first, it shows it's charging and it shows the lightning bolt in the battery icon.

Then about 30 seconds - 1 minute later, it shows the plug picture in the battery icon.

But if I connect it to the laptop via USB, it charges without any problem.

I have seen that my wall charger only works when my iPhone has 35%+ battery life.

Can anybody help me out with this situation? It has been frustrating me.

Charging the iPhone through the laptop is a pain.

Thank You guys.

- Inexplicitly

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you using the wall charger adapter and USB cord that came with the phone or aftermarket products?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Do you have the 3G phone? Last year Apple had a recall on the wall charger, you just had to take into the store and they gave you a new one with a green dot

Jul 21, 2009
Virginia
Are you using the wall charger adapter and USB cord that came with the phone or aftermarket products?
I bought my iPhone 3G from a friend and it did not come with a USB cable or a wall charger. So I decided to go to Target and buy those third party cables from a brand called "I-Concepts".

From that brand, I bought a USB cable (which works perfectly) and a wall charger (which I am having trouble with atm).

Do you have the 3G phone? Last year Apple had a recall on the wall charger, you just had to take into the store and they gave you a new one with a green dot
Yes, I do have an iPhone 3G but I don't have the official Apple cables. The cables I have are from a third party company called I-Concepts.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Thats your problem, don't fry your battery with that crap. Just go to Apple and get the correct setup. the wall charger charges vey quick versus the computer.

Jul 21, 2009
Virginia
Thats your problem, don't fry your battery with that crap. Just go to Apple and get the correct setup. the wall charger charges vey quick versus the computer.
Ah I see. I might as well go for that. Should I also buy the official USB cable from Apple (although I don't have any problems with the current one) to charge with the USB Power Adapter?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
The Apple charger is an AC/USB combo. You will get both. Always best to stay away from aftermarket cords.

Marx

Jul 28, 2009
I don't think all 3rd party cables are crap. I doubt that, for example, Belkin wall charger won't charge your phone. Just read customer reviews before you buy.c

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
The OP's problem happened to me once. I got it sorted by powering down the phone and then reconnecting to the AC.

YMMV

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Here is a review I posted for the "ZipLinq AC Home Charger to USB Converter" on Amazon:

I just wanted to pass along that this wonderful charger works with the iPhone 3G. It's very difficult to find an affordable third-party charger that is compatible with the iPhone 3G. I just had to return 2 chargers from another manufacturer that would display the charging icon on the iPhone for only 2 minutes and then revert to the "Plugged-In" icon which signifies no charge is being provided. These chargers are very difficult to find as many sites don't even list them as Zip-Linq, they sometimes list them as a generic type of USB charger.

I thought it would be helpful to list the specs that Amazon doesn't that are on the back of the charger just in case you want to search for another charger with the correct power output:

Model No: ADC-320 series
Input: 100 - 240V AC, 0.2A, 50/60Hz
Output: 5.0V DC, 1.0A, 5.0W (Max)
The "Griffin 9749-PJBLK PowerJolt Auto Charger for iPod" is what I use for my car charger and the extra USB cable, which is perfect and never leaves you with the "Plugged-In" icon unless it's fully charged. (I always order from third-party vendors with items like this since Amazon's A-to-Z Guarantee even covers those purchases.) :)