Question on 3GS jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by ring0_event, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    I have a 3gs, *new* boot rom, with 4.3.3, jailbroken and unlocked. I've really been out of the loop for a while, so could anyone tell me how to jailbreak 5.01 *and* maintain my unlock? I have access to a Mac at work if need be. Thanks!

2. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

3. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I think if you use the latest red snow you can preserve your baseband. Not 100% though. I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will pipe up soon. I know I only kept my baseband because I'm using the ipad baseband.

4. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply PB! Could anyone else here confirm this? I really need to reserve my unlock...

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you using the iPad baseband (6.15.00)?
    Check here:
    Settings > General > About Modem Firmware

6. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi Europa,
    Thanks for replying! I'm on baseband 5.13.04, and I've never used the iPad baseband.
    Can I use redsn0w or pwngage tool to create a custom FW image which preserves my baseband? If so, then all I need to do is upgrade from iTunes with the shift key, right?

7. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

hey ringo. I think you can still use redsn0w to preserve that baseband...not sure though.

8. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Yeah, me neither, so I hope Europa will confirm what be both guess to be true. I really can't proceed till I know for sure!

9. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

10. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Crap, I tried to JB and I got a 1608 error in iTunes. I used redsn0w to generate an unlocked JB 5.01 IPSW, and then put my 3gs in pwned DFU mode. I then tried to shift upgrade upgrade in iTunes, but first got code error 10, and when I retried, code error 1608. I was then stuck in DFU mode. Luckily, I was able to restore to 4.3.3 using my old IPSW which was hacked using pwnage tool. Not sure if that was the best option, but it worked.
    Any ideas on what I did wrong in my upgrade attempt to 5.01? Do I need to run Tiny Umbrella, or something else during the update?

11. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Worked now, iTunes was not fully up to date.

12. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

So pleased you got it sorted mate.

13. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Yeah, and it looks like TU no longer works for iOS5...I might have been running TU in my first attempt, but later on during my second attempt I realized running TU was an issue (my iTunes was also old). So I'm not sure if the old iTunes or the usage of TU was my issue during the first attempt...