Question on exchangin iPhone at Apple Store (Jailbroken)

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I recently bought a 16gb iPhone refurb. Received it last week. I noticed that theres 3 dead pixels. 1 is pretty bright and the other 2 are more dim.

I am going to try and exchange it for a new/or refurb one tomorrow at the Apple store.

My question is that I have it jailbroken and unlocked. I am currently an AT&T customer. Should I restore it back to the way I received it? Or will it not matter since I am an AT&T customer anyway (even though I did not officially register the iPhone on iTunes)?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, do not take it back to Apple jailbroken. They will not service it and will void your warranty. Sync all your data to external programs, and restore it as a new iPhone (not from a backup).

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
No, do not take it back to Apple jailbroken. They will not service it and will void your warranty. Sync all your data to external programs, and restore it as a new iPhone (not from a backup).
Thanks for the quick reply. So I just restore it via iTunes and I should be all set before I return it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks for the quick reply. So I just restore it via iTunes and I should be all set before I return it?
Indeed. In fact, I just did that very thing today. Easy as pie.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yup yup listen to the man he knows his stuff..
and may i add.. when u go to the Apple store specificly ask for a new iPhone and not a refurb. normaly they will give in if u persist.
good luck!

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
yup yup listen to the man he knows his stuff..
and may i add.. when u go to the Apple store specificly ask for a new iPhone and not a refurb. normaly they will give in if u persist.
good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I'll tell them that I want a new one b/c I don't want the risk of getting another one w/dead pixels or some other issues from a refurb. :)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I believe you can restore it using the program you unlocked/jailbroke it with. That'll reset everything back too, including the unlock.

Joe

wigwam89

Oct 28, 2009
Hey guys, i have a 1st gen iPhone and its giving me problems. I have had it for about 6 months and had no problems besides pulled pixels until about a 3 days ago. First of all everytime i make a call, it gets dropped within ten seconds, the service goes from full bars to nothin constantly. This also messes with my text messages. Also it is startin to get really hot when i use it or charge it. The thing is it is unlocked and i have tmobile. i was wondering if i could restore the settings and take the sim card out then take it to the Genius Bar.