Question on Microsoft Exchange account and my Contacts

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
So our exchange server went down for almost a full month and during that month I had to have my iPhone 4 replaced. I use our exchange account to keep my contacts in my phone so with that down and having to set up an iPhone as new I was without my contacts for a while.

My question is, is there any way to store all of my contacts that I have on my phone right now on to it so if that was ever to happen again I wouldn't have to wait for the account server to get back online?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I'm in a similar scenario; I want my contacts from the exchange server backed up should I leave the company or the server's database become corrupt.

What I did is, in outlook, I made a copy of the contacts folder from the server and placed it in my local address book on my PC. Now ld the server go down for an extended period of time or I lose access, my contacts can be restored from the backup copy by changing the mail settings in iTunes.

I haven't tested this, but it should work. I'm not sure if you can sync from the iPhone to iTunes after turning off the exchange settings. I'd also entertain options of duplicates in the iPhone's address book and the exchange server. Then just set contacts to pull from one instead of all.

Make sense?

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
Target, can you walk me through how you made a copy of the contacts folder you have. That sounds like the best bet either that or manually entering every contact into my phone.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
TJL,

1. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
  2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
  3. In the Create a file of type list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
  4. In the Select a folder to export from list, click Contacts.
  5. If you have subfolders below the Contacts folder that you want to include, select the Include subfolders check box.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Click Browse, choose a location for the file, such as My Documents, and then type a name for your backup file, such as ContactsBackup.pst.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Finish.
  10. In the Name box, type My Contacts Backup.
  11. Type the encryption and password settings if you need them, and then click OK.
Hope this helps

Target