Question regarding AT&T upgrade

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
My friend has AT&T already (with a Blackjack) and is eligible for an upgrade, so he is considering iPhone 3G. The only problem is, he has an older 3G data plan that only costs him $19.99 a month that he would love to use with iPhone 3G. He's on a family plan with his wife who wants his blackjack, but doesn't care about a data plan. Tell me if this will work:

1. Use the upgrade on his wife's phone instead of his phone to get the iPhone 3G, subsequently extending his contract by 2 years.
2. Immediately cancel the iPhone data plan and say that he isn't planning on using the iPhone with service currently (but still accepts the contract extension).
3. Use a Turbo SIM to unlock the iPhone 3G, stick his Blackjack SIM into the iPhone 3G and give the Blackjack to his wife.

With iPhone 3G unlocked, his old 3G data plan should work just fine as long as it's unlocked, correct? I guess my biggest question is, can you get an iPhone 3G and then cancel the data plan, as long as you accept the fact that your contract has been extended for 2 years?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well... 1 he can use the upgrade for his wife but as you said theres addition 2 years.
2 If he cancels the iPhone plan (in the 14day time frame im assuming) They will want the phone back, or you will be charged Full price of the phone (upwards $400).
3 turbo sims (from what ive read) only last for so long, and currently there is no way of unlocking the iPhone3g.

To answer your last question, is no. They will want the phone back if you cancel the entire iPhone plan. If you are just trying to cancel the data? that can be an expensive choice..a very expensive one if you keep the iPhone.
BTW. the iPhone plans arent compatible with other phones.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Well... 1 he can use the upgrade for his wife but as you said theres addition 2 years.
2 If he cancels the iPhone plan (in the 14day time frame im assuming) They will want the phone back, or you will be charged Full price of the phone (upwards $400).
3 turbo sims (from what ive read) only last for so long, and currently there is no way of unlocking the iPhone3g.

To answer your last question, is no. They will want the phone back if you cancel the entire iPhone plan. If you are just trying to cancel the data? that can be an expensive choice..a very expensive one if you keep the iPhone.
BTW. the iPhone plans arent compatible with other phones.
He's not canceling his service with AT&T, just the data plan. And if you unlock/jailbreak the phone, you can use other data plans with the iPhone. My question is, can you cancel that data plan no problem, if you just specify that you are no longer going to use the iPhone 3G, as if it's just going to sit there unused, essentially?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Oh...well i have heard of people canceling the Data plan only...but AT&T and Apple highly advises against this.

Keep in mind, the phone receives data and sends data even when apps or safari/youtube arent being used. AT&T charges 1cent per KB.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Oh...well i have heard of people canceling the Data plan only...but AT&T and Apple highly advises against this.

Keep in mind, the phone receives data and sends data even when apps or safari/youtube arent being used. AT&T charges 1cent per KB.
I'm aware, but he will be using his Blackjack data plan so he won't get any overages. As long as you can cancel your iPhone data plan, I think this should work...

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've read a lot about ATT cracking down on non iPhone data plans being used with the 3g. I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to another board so I PM'd you an interesting thread.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I am interested in the conclusion of this, I read somewhere that Apple sends out nasty gram text messages when they identify that your iPhone isn't on the proper plan. Let us know how it goes.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Its not nasty in the sense of them wanting you to pay that 69.99

think of it as them trying to save your ass from paying HUGE, and i mean HUGE payments for data incurred.