Question regarding iPhone on iPod adapter - please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Ocala, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

Hello,

I have a Pioneer DEH-P9800BT car stereo with built in bluetooth, with the Pioneer iPod adapter (CD-IB100).

This head unit has built-in bluetooth hands free. I plug in the iPhone, ignore the warning, say no to airplane mode.

I can see all of the music in the head unit, as well as select it from the head unit directly. The music mutes when I get a phone call. The cover art pops up on the iPhone!

The bluetooth works perfectly.

The problem is that the adapter does not seem to be charging the iPhone. It does charge an iPod, however. No lightning bolt in battery, etc...

Can anyone who has tried this please let me know if my adapter is defective, or if the charger simply doesn’t work on the iPhone?

THANKS for ANY advice!

2. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

Did you ever get an answer for this or find anything more out about it? I am in the process of ordering the DEH-P9800BT for my car and was just wondering. I am going to get it regardless since I don't go on very many long trips and would not leave the iPhone in the car if I am not in the car. Therefore I can just make sure that it is charged before I go anywhere.

3. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

Well, I got mine installed last night and LOVE it. The thing is, mine actually charges the phone as well. I purchased the CD-iB100ii iPod adapter. That must have made the difference.

Anyway, this stereo appears to work 100% with iPhone. It does give the usual "airplane mode" prompt, but everything seems to work fine.

4. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

Hmmmm.....

Congrats on a GREAT radio - I love mine

HMMM.... I have the same DEH-9800BT paired with the CD-iB100ii iPod adapter. I Know I didn't get the model number correct in my original post, but that IS the one I'm using. I also have the XM adapter run daisy chain. Both adapters work, but the iPhone doesn't charge.

Also, I would assume the iPhone does NOT connect automatically to the Bluetooth when you get in the car - is this also your experience?

I spoke to Pioneer directly and they said they could not get it to charge the iPhone. Can you tell me how yours is configured, and how (not to be a wise guy:cool:) you know it's charging?

Best of luck - look forward to hearing from you!

5. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

Ocala,

You would be correct on the Bluetooth. It does not seem to want to connect automatically to the iPhone when I get into the car. I have to manually connect each time. That is a pain, but I assumed it was just something I had not been doing correctly.

I only have the iPod adapter. No XM. I guess I should say that it definitely appears to be charging. I only had it installed last night and have not had the iPhone hooked up long enough to really drain the battery. I assume it is charging though because of the lightning bolt in the battery indicator. However, I can not be 100% certain that it is actually charging until I take a longer trip. :laugh2:

Hope this helps.

P.S. - I live in Little Rock Arkansas currently, but my wife and I are from Orlando. We miss it there so much.

6. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

Well, I hope you're right - please let me know. If you start from a red battery and play some videos....:cool:

I will check mine again but I don't believe I ever saw a lightning bolt when hooked up to the iPod adapter. If yours is really working I'd like to get specifics to know if buying a new adapter would work for me. I'm sure Pioneer tech would like to know too, because the unit they tested did everything BUT charge the phone.

Look forward to an update!

Thanks again.

BTW - Love it in Ocala, get to Orlando every couple months.:laugh2:

7. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

I took this picture of the iPhone while it was plugged up to the DEH-P9800BT. As you can see, it shows the big green battery. As far as I know it only shows this while charging.

I will still try and check it by letting the battery run down some and see if it charges in the car.

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Any specifics you need to know, just let me know and I will help any way I can. Now I just wish I could get it to recognize the phone via bluetooth everytime I get into the car.

Attached Files:

8. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

Wow, now I'm REALLY confused!

I'll call Pioneer again tomorrow - THANKS for the help!

9. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

Huh...

CONGRATS! You appear to have the ONLY iPhone that is actually CHARGING from your system as configured!

I talked to Pioneer this morning and they have spoke to many people about this problem and none has been resolved so far.

I would REALLY appreciate any info you could give me, particularly anything that might be out of the norm in your installation. Also, does your car run an abnormally high voltage?

Anything would help, and - no kidding - I'm sure Pioneer would love to know if you've inadvertantly found a "FIX", you could help ALOT of people.

Look forward to hearing from you - and THANKS!

10. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

I don't know how much I can tell you. I did not install the radio so I don't know the steps that were done to get it working. Here is what I do know:
    • The vehicle I put this in is a 2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
    • Head unit and CD-iB100ii were bought from Crutchfield.com
    • Crutchfield also included the Volkswagen wire harness and Euro Antenna adapter
    • Circuit City installed everything
    I do know that the installer had a heck of a time finding a power source for the unit. He told me that it would take 45 minutes to install and 2 hours later he finally finished. I know that he finally looked in the owner's manual to figure out where to run the power to in the fuse box. I do not know where he ended up running it though.

I would guess that we would need to figure out where they hooked my CD-iB100ii to for power. Seems to me like that is where the power would be coming from into the iPod/iPhone. I took a quick glance at my fuse box to see if I could tell where he had run the power to, but had no luck. I will have to have more time to try and figure out where everything goes. Unfortunately, the VW is really hard to get to anything under the dash. I can't even lay on the floor board and look up under to see anything. They have a cover over that area.

I will be happy to help anyway I can. Tell Pioneer to send a tech out to inspect my setup. :laugh2:

Keith

11. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

Uh Oh!

I have bad news. Last night I decided to move the ipod connector cord to another location in the car. The spot where the Circuit City guy put it was too close to the radio which caused issues with the phone while on a call. Being that close you would get that cell phone hum the same as when you get them too close to computer speakers.

Anyway, I moved the cord last night so that it was further away from the head unit. I never tested it last night afterwards. This morning when I was heading into work I plugged up the phone and found that it was no longer charging.:( I no longer get the lightning bolt or the green battery screen as shown in the picture I posted previously. Now I am just wondering what happened. Everything is still working except the charging. So I don't think I disconnected anything while moving the wire. Perhaps I will take the time to pull the wire back to it's original location and see what happens.

Just thought I would let you know.

******************8/16/07 6:09 PM UPDATE*********************

It was back to charging at lunch time and was also charging on the way home from work. I can verify that it IS charging though. I did not have a full battery when I left work and 30 minutes later when I got home it had visibly changed.

This makes me feel like it is a fluke that mine is working. Perhaps it is a voltage thing as you had hinted to in an earlier post.

12. udecker

udecker New Member

Well, I've got the CD-IB100ii, and mine charges just fine. Didn't realize others weren't charging. Professional install here.

-Craig

13. keiffer6

keiffer6 New Member

Thanks for the input Udecker. At least I know I am not crazy.

14. udecker

udecker New Member

Is this something where I should be calling Pioneer and letting them know the good news? :) Has moving your connection brought the charging back? I find it very odd that most people cannot charge.

15. momophone

momophone New Member

I have the previous model from pioneer, deh 9700 bt and it auto-detects the iPhone when i get into the car.
    You just need to "register" the phone in the functions menu on your radio.

What i didn't get to work is uploading the phone book from the phone, and therefore i never succeeded in trying the voice dialing function.

In my case the ipod adapter does not work at all. No list no sound and no charging neither. :) could be because of being the smaller model from pioneer ?

16. Rotten66

Rotten66 New Member

More tests

I have an iPhone with the same CD-iB100ii I found that some times it charges and other times it won't. I have noticed that it seems to have something to do with the order I plug in the phone and turn on the car. Although when I test this it is never constant. It seems fairly random and I would agree that it might have something to do with voltage differences. I also did not notice the problem until after 1.0.2 patch but I am not sure that that had anything to do with it.

17. Volvo

Volvo New Member

iPhone auto detect problems with 980BT

I have iPhone and have registered it with the 980BT but it still not not auto connect. The 980 works fine with other cell phones. I can manually connect but that's it. Was not expecting this from such a high end deck. So you are saying that the 970 connects just fine? I may switch -
    Lack of autoconnection to the 980 is a signifiant flaw. The other problem with the 980 is that you can't set two phones to autoconnect. Let me know if you are still able to autoconnect when you turn on the radio.

18. Jsail4fun

Jsail4fun New Member

I have a first-generation iPhone. I am able to get the iPhone adaptor to charge.

Try this, try turning the ignition to on but don't start the car.
    With the ignition on and the car not running my iPhone will charge 80% of the time. If I crank the starter for too long the iPhone will stop charging so I have to try to start my car quickly. Sometimes is takes a couple tries such is bad for the starter and bad for the phone.
    Another thing I have noticed that sometimes it is possible to connect the phone in such a way that the pioneer screen does not come up and I can access the iPhone chontrols. I am not sure how to make this happen, it just does som times. I have a very old pioneer head unit so it is not very convenient to browse music so what I usually do is manually turn the iPhone to iPod and select all songs random before plugging in the phone. Then I can use the skip next button on the stereo to jump to a random song. The trick is to weed out all the bad songs from your iPod or you will spnd a lot of time skipping.
    My favorite configuration is to retain the iPhone controls and have the phone charging. I have done it before but I am not sure how to recreate it.

19. Ocala

Ocala New Member
    Bronze

I plug in the iPhone to the adapter BEFORE STARTING THE CAR, the message pops up saying this device is not compatible and do I want to turn on airplane mode.

I select "no", THEN start the car...

Charges EVERYTIME!

I have the deh-9800bt

I discovered this by accident- good luck all!

20. kebab2kuk

kebab2kuk New Member

I have a very similar pioneer headunit, I have to do the same and plug in the phone before starting the car. To get the headunit to auto connect bluetooth go to phone function mode on the headunit and goto into the function menu (I have to hold down the volume button on mine), thats where the setting is to register the phone to the headunit (Do this after the you have connected the phone already via searching BT devices on the iPhone. Searching for device on the pioneer never worked for me).

I have got a new issue which some of you might want to know about. Originally I had an iPhone 2G, its worked great with the CD-IB100 II and charged fine. I just got upgraded to an iPhone 3G, it no longer charges! It gives you the interference warning and suggests flight mode, BUT also tells you the device is not compatible for charging.

I going to have a look into something like this, has anyone had experience into this?
    http://www.cablejive.com/iPhone_3g_charge_converter.html