Question regarding the "restore" feature on iTunes

mrk

Oct 2, 2007
i just updated my firmware to 1.1.4, and now want to jailbreak it... but it says i must restore then update.... well, im already updated to 1.1.4, so i guess i just need to restore... my question is, will restore delete all my mp3's on my iPhone? i believe when you sync, it only saves the songs that are on your iTunes library... i have nothing in my iTunes library, i added my 1000+ songs by manually dragging and dropping in from my many external HD's that took hours to do... so i want to make sure what im doing when i press that restore button.. please help

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Pretty sure you are going to lose the songs. iTunes does a backup but there are no songs in it to backup so they will be gone.

mrk

Oct 2, 2007
do i really have to restore before doing the jailbreak? basicly i had a JB 1.1.1, then updated to 1.1.4, it seems like a fresh start, since all the apps are now gone

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
My question is similar to this topic so i am adding it on....;)

I know you are going to lose everything on your iPhone once you press restore, then is there a way to save the camera roll pix by putting it back to camera roll?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The ZiPhone method of jail break suggests that you do a FULL RESTORE, before jailbreaking, to get rid of any old installer files left behind..M

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
My question is similar to this topic so i am adding it on....;)

I know you are going to lose everything on your iPhone once you press restore, then is there a way to save the camera roll pix by putting it back to camera roll?
You can download your photo's to a photo program on your computer or your my picture folder, then put them back on after restoring. Also make sure you Back Up your iPhone, before restoring to save all your settings, notes, contacts and etc...M

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Best is to restore. But if you are currently 1.1.4 just go ahead and jailbreak. No fear....

iTunes holds your mp3s.... What's the problem?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
i just updated my firmware to 1.1.4, and now want to jailbreak it... but it says i must restore then update.... well, im already updated to 1.1.4, so i guess i just need to restore... my question is, will restore delete all my mp3's on my iPhone? i believe when you sync, it only saves the songs that are on your iTunes library... i have nothing in my iTunes library, i added my 1000+ songs by manually dragging and dropping in from my many external HD's that took hours to do... so i want to make sure what im doing when i press that restore button.. please help
yah it will delete everything you have on your iPhone and then when you restore it puts back all the data such as text messages and phone calls and internet history. for media you have to sync it back yourself from your iTunes library

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
after restoring after back up, you are saying it gives text message data back as well as other data backed up in iTunes? what about pix taken with camera (camera roll)? does it come back to camera roll?

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I can access my camera roll pics through Windows Explorer - so I just drag and drop them out. And then in again.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Just want to make sure...

1. So when you back up your phone through itune, copy the camera roll pix through Windows Explorer to some folder on HDD
2. restore with 1.1.4
3. JB with ziPhone
4. resync with itune, then

you get your data INCLUDING SMS DATA?
also, copy the pix of the camera roll from the folder you used to copy back to iPhone using Camera roll, then the pix shows up in Camera Roll?

Can anybody confirm this? I would like to try 1.1.4 since consensus is 1.1.4 has LOUDER volume.;)

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I use an application called "ipod copy" that works pretty well too.